Replacement for Molichaff Calmer

casspow

Visit site
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone was around to help me - I am looking at replacing my horses Molichaff calmer onto another type of chaff but unsure what to go for! Any one tried Spillers cool fibre??

He currently has red mills horse care 10 cubes and speedibeet to accompany the chaff and is in light to medium work.

Any suggestions of other chaffs full of vits and mins welcome!

JenHunt

Visit site
I'm not sure why you would need a chaff with added vits and mins as he should be getting what he needs from the horse care cubes?

that said, hi-fi lite or hoof kind would be good options for you - low sugar, low calorie (so non heating) and very palatable.

Jazmyn101

Visit site
I changed my horse onto spillers cool fibre a few weeks ago. I feed her one scoop of cool fibre, one cup of topspec cool balancer, garlic and magneisum. It's a lovely feed, my horse loves it and it smells quite nice. I have now this week changed my horse onto hi-fi molasses free, I don't want my horse having any molasses as she is very fizzy ridden and is barefoot so the sugar is no good for her. The hi-fi molasses free is really nice, it's very soft and also smells very good and my horse loves this too. If you want a calming feed I would cut out all the molasses as it just counteracts the calming effect of the calmer if that makes sense. This is the reason why I came off the cool fibre as it has molasses in it but also has magnesium but what is the point of having a calmer in a feed when you molasses on it. If you would like a vit/min chaff I would recommend healthy hooves molasses free is very good, it's a complete feed though so you wouldn't have to feed your horse any other hard feed as long as you are feeding the right amount of it for their weight. Hope this helps, sorry for the long reply!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mollichaff calmer covers a heck of a lot of vitamins: why are you switching? I'm interested as I feed the calmer. My only worry is the protein content is higher than the rest in the range.

TGM

Visit site
If you are feeding the recommended amount of cubes then no need for added vit/mins in the chaff. Is your horse a good doer or one that lacks condition as this will influence the type of chaff you feed.

casspow

Visit site
Thank you! Really helpful - I ended up going with the hi-fi molasses free so fingers crossed! He was on this last winter and was fine so will mix it up together and slowly introduce.

Thanks for all other replies! My main reason for switching was they have stopped stocking the calmer and the only other feed store that does it is 30miles away in the opp direction! Can't justify as only one horse so just wanted to try something new where I could get all feed from in one place - lazy I know but I do not have enough time as it is!