Replacing lorry floor - anyone done it?

MissSBird

Visit site
With typically bad timing, it appears I need to get the floor of my horse area replaced.

Has anyone ever had this done, and how much did it cost approximately?

Thanks guys. Just trying to get a rough idea.

Mike007

Visit site
Depending on weight , it may be easier to lay a new floor ontop of the old one, certainly cheaper.

maza

Visit site
I've done it, the corners were going in mine so I ripped up the old floor but it was two sheets and the underneath sheet wasn't as bad so decided to lay floor Onto it, I couldnt just lay ontop of both as rubber and partitions wouldnt have fitted back! I bought marine ply as my dad said its best as won't rot as quick with the horse pee, I was about 60 for two sheets and two hours later relayed and solid! Wasn't half as difficult as I'd been told.c

Mike007

Visit site
Sorry but the whole "Marine Ply" thing is a myth. Marine ply is not water resistant unless correctly sealed ,it is mearly a grade of timber ply. Pewrsonaly I use inch thick oak boards absolutely plastered with bitumen , Two layers. Its still cheaper than marine ply.:eek:

B-B

Visit site
Also ripped mine out and used outdoor plywood that was an inch thick and cost about 80 to do a quarter of the floor.

We keep a good eye on it and have the underside checked.

Vickijay

Visit site
I sent mine away to do it as wouldnt even consider doing mine myself. I had the whole thing done so stalled for 4, I had 2 layers of new floor and some stuff painted on, it had a funny name, but I can't remember what it was, it's black and thick almost like tar, or the stuff you put on flat roofs and is meant to protect the floor. Maybe someone else can remember what it's called!

I did have to have all my partitions altered too because the floor was higher so the partitions didn't fit in any more! The bill was a bit over £1000 but I think I had a couple of other little jobs done too.

So it was expensive but I wouldnt of wanted to try it myself and I know its been a good job

Mike007

Visit site
I sent mine away to do it as wouldnt even consider doing mine myself. I had the whole thing done so stalled for 4, I had 2 layers of new floor and some stuff painted on, it had a funny name, but I can't remember what it was, it's black and thick almost like tar, or the stuff you put on flat roofs and is meant to protect the floor. Maybe someone else can remember what it's called!

I did have to have all my partitions altered too because the floor was higher so the partitions didn't fit in any more! The bill was a bit over £1000 but I think I had a couple of other little jobs done too.

So it was expensive but I wouldnt of wanted to try it myself and I know its been a good job

Black jack!!!:cool::cool:F++k a duck, £1000. I am too bloody cheap!

Tiffany

Visit site
Agree you could always lay a second layer on original if possible with you partitions etc.

I work in the Timber industry and for trailer and lorry floors we recommend and sell Birch plywood with a mesh surface 1 side and film on other. Birch is stronger because of the number of plys and the surface offers some protection to the boards.

You can buy Far Eastern plywood with the same surfaces although if you compare with birch you'll see the difference in number of plys.

No plywood is completely water proof and even if it were it wouldn't be urine proof :)

Mike007

Visit site
Agree you could always lay a second layer on original if possible with you partitions etc.

I work in the Timber industry and for trailer and lorry floors we recommend and sell Birch plywood with a mesh surface 1 side and film on other. Birch is stronger because of the number of plys and the surface offers some protection to the boards.

You can buy Far Eastern plywood with the same surfaces although if you compare with birch you'll see the difference in number of plys.

No plywood is completely water proof and even if it were it wouldn't be urine proof :)

Tiffany , you know your plywood!:cool:

Tiffany

Visit site
Hi Mike, I've been in the trade longer than I care to remember so I should have picked up some knowledge along the way :D

MissSBird

Visit site
Wow guys, thanks for the thoughts!

It is a very old lorry. It's recently been discovered that the edge of the floor (underneath horses heads) is very soft from damp, and a part appears to have rotted right through. So I'm not sure it'd be possible to just put a new floor over the top of this? Wouldn't that just add extra weight?

I'm not very DIY savvy I'm afraid, so all advice is much appreciated!

Miss L Toe

Visit site

It is a very old lorry. It's recently been discovered that the edge of the floor (underneath horses heads) is very soft from damp, and a part appears to have rotted right through. So I'm not sure it'd be possible to just put a new floor over the top of this? Wouldn't that just add extra weight?

Any sign of rot, and I would remove everything.
I am not too sure about ply which is used in ordinary lorries being as suitable for horse lorries with the wet urine scenario, I would investigate further,find out what Oakley and other high spec horse lorry manufacturers use.

mutley75

Visit site
why the obsession with wood? If you are going to replace the floor go with the ally planks, they click together like laminate flooring. As used by most reputable manufacturers.

perfect11s

Visit site
Forgot to say Mike's way works and other option is plastic which some trailer & lorry manufacturers now use. :)
or the aluminum planks even better , yes on the subject of ply yes only an idiot would use any plain ply including marine which there is a dangerous myth going round that it is a suitable as flooring in trailers and lorrys !!! yes the phenol mesh ply is ideal and very suitable it stands up well to constant wear and wet on comercial lorry floors and trailers....

Jesstickle

Visit site
yes the phenol mesh ply is ideal and very suitable it stands up well to constant wear and wet on comercial lorry floors and trailers....

I have phenol filmed ply for my trailer floor. That's what the manufacturers put in and that's what I'd replace it with when it needs doing!

YM had her lorry floor replaced and I seem to remember that being about £1000 pound mark too. Now I remember why I have a trailer :eek:

perfect11s

Visit site

Realy idealy the old stuff needs to come out ....but you could be opening a can of worms if the suports and cross bearers are rusted !!! you realy need to get someone to look at it before you rip up the old floor!!! if the lorry a bit on the old side and not worth spending thousands on it you could make it safe with an over floor made of phenol safadeck mesh flooring say 12mm or thicker ....

Maiscene

Visit site
yes, I have.
The floor on my bedford tk was softening at the back. I brought marine ply through a trader friend of mine, got a good deal on 3 sheets, less than £100, had quite alot left over for trim edging etc. Then looked in the local paper for a handy man, called a few up, explained the job, 2 came to look, one seemed to know what he was talking about, had already done a horsebox floor for a horsey friend so I hired him for £120 over a day and a half. Done a great job, that was 4 yrs ago, floors a good un! A DIY fab friend and I also did the tricky trimming and getting the partition fittings back in. Quite enjoyed it really!

Goodluck!!!!

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
I sent mine back the guy who converted it, it's a 3.5 tonne so has a aluminium base, ply on top and to seal it fibreglass (I think) and he put me in a wee chanel as my mare loves to pee in it, touch wood it hasn't gone soft since and it cost be about £250 ish!