Replacing riding hats

fizzer

Visit site
How often to you replace your riding hats? I am a bit of a hoarder and have about 7 riding hats. Different makes and models, some vented, some velvets and skull caps.

Was just wondering if I should ditch some of them as a couple are 3- 5 years old.

I know some people say replace every year but if they have hardly been used would they still be vulnerable.

All comments welcome.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Well, as it took me 7 years, several falls (one of which had me blue-lighted to hospital and another left me with two broken ribs) and Kal using it as a football in his stable to replace mine (last year) I'm probably the wrong person to ask. Had my first fall in my new hat last week . . . did it get it checked and it's fine.

P

PolarSkye

Visit site
Polarskye - have you ever considered a seatbelt on your horse?? :D

Ha ha ha! :D.

To be fair, the blue light incident wasn't off Kal, it was off a nutjob RS horse (name Otis) who took quirky to new heights. I did break my ribs coming off Kal though.

Oh, and I've been wondering why my left foot/ankle has been hurting so much since my fall last week - upon inspection I have a rather impressive foot-shaped bruise - seems he stood on me (not that I remember). Thank goodness he doesn't have shoes on behind!

P

MoodleCob

Visit site
Not sure about riding hats but my motorcycle helmet gets replaced every three years. In a fall there can be damage you can't see, even if you drop it from a not-so-high height, knock it off a table etc because the inside is only designed to absorb an impact once. Also the outer shell starts to become brittle after a few years of use. Can you get riding helmets tested?