Replying to adverts to criticise or compliment?

Spit That Out

Visit site
Just wondering if you have ever contacted someone or replied to an advert to either criticise someone's horse or the way they are riding, the ill fitting tack or even how much they are advertising their horse for?
On the flip side have you ever contacted somebody, even if you have no intrest in what they are selling to compliment them?

I'm currently selling a horse on behalf of a friend, they have written the ad and provided photos and I've just put it online for them and stated to contact my friend with questions etc by phone only, however I've had a lady email me to say her horse was fat and should lose weight before she sells...the horse is a few kg overweight but that's due to being out of work and no way fat.
Another person emailed me to say how fantastic her horse looked and if she was looking to buy she would be really interested...

Kikke

Visit site
I have done.
My mare had a foal before me buying her.
The Filly was for sale aged 3 and the sellers gave information about the dame (my mare) that was untruthful.
I therefore contacted the seller.
As it turned out the seller gave the information in food faith and adjusted the advert later on.

pootler

Visit site
I once contacted someone who had a mare for sale, it showed her breeding in the advert. I wanted to let them know she was a full sister to a horse that had competed at Badminton that year. I apologised that I couldn't buy her but they were very happy to get this info as they hadn't realised.

Embo

Visit site
You see it all the time on Facebook adverts (slightly different, I know). Mostly comments from people tagging their friends or saying they think the horse is nice.

Must be frustrating for the seller.

Never seen anything critical. I have never contacted a seller unless I was seriously interested in what they were selling!

Shantara

Visit site
You see it all the time on Facebook adverts (slightly different, I know). Mostly comments from people tagging their friends or saying they think the horse is nice.

Must be frustrating for the seller.

Never seen anything critical. I have never contacted a seller unless I was seriously interested in what they were selling!

I've seen it a lot on facebook too! A girl I know was selling two of her horses, both of which were in various gadgets. A massive argument erupted, which I watched from a distance. One camp was saying that if you can't ride your horse in a snaffle, then you shouldn't ride...and the other side was saying that they're training aids and are helpful.
I felt both had their fair points, but I felt it was unfair as it put a lot of people off two very nice horses! I'm unsure if she actually managed to sell in the end.

Wheels

Visit site
Never to criticise

Once to compliment as i just thought this foal had something about him. But I did end up buying him although that wasn't my intention when I first emailed the seller but I couldnt get him out of my head lol

Wheels

Visit site
I would find it exceptionally rude and uncalled for if someone contacted me about a horse I was selling and criticised him or my advert unless it was very constructive

Spit That Out

Visit site
I would find it exceptionally rude and uncalled for if someone contacted me about a horse I was selling and criticised him or my advert unless it was very constructive

This^^^

I thought it was rude, I haven't told my friend, she's already gutted for having to sell never mind being told he's fat!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I've complimented on Facebook, I don't see how its frustrating for the seller, every time someone tags or comments, more people will see the advert and may want to buy the horse.

WelshD

Visit site
I've commented on facebook adverts to the tune of 'lovely pony, someone will be very lucky' but only sparingly and never to criticise. It bumps the advert for the seller if nothing else

corriehorse

Visit site
I've never done either, and wouldn't, but there is an advert that keeps appearing on my Facebook for a snaffle mouthed hunter. Majority of the pictures show the horse being hunted with the reins on the bottom ring of a 3 ring gag, and it is tempting to question them on it.

melbiswas

Visit site
A lady was selling a secondhand saddle because it no longer fitted her horse. There was an accompanying photo with her riding in it with it way , way, way too far forwards. I have to confess I then FB stalked and there were lots of older equally appalling pictures. Poor horse.
I was so tempted to send her a PM, but chickened out.

wench

Visit site
I think it's very rude to message and say your horse is fat, you can't ride etc just downright rude. As some posters above, if you know more about the horse, can add to the advert, it's a different matter

Goldenstar

Visit site
I've never done either, and wouldn't, but there is an advert that keeps appearing on my Facebook for a snaffle mouthed hunter. Majority of the pictures show the horse being hunted with the reins on the bottom ring of a 3 ring gag, and it is tempting to question them on it.

Why on earth would you want to question them of this ?

FfionWinnie

Visit site

Also widely known as a continental snaffle...

fatpiggy

Visit site
I wouldn't dream of it, but on Ebay I have messaged sellers selling objects where I can help them to identify the maker, or the age, and also advised them of the value in certain circumstances if I think they are underselling. They have always been grateful for the extra information.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I did once on facebook. Poor horse was shown jumping and schooling with its chin almost against its chest - rollkur. I just asked why it was being ridden that way. It really was giving its all over the fences but rider had its head clamped to its chest. Just awful. Though it showed the genuineness of the horse, I guess, and had I been looking, I would certainly have been interested.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No I wouldn't.
I often think when browsing ads that the photo could be much better, for all sort of reasons, and sometimes wonder if the photo is actually with the right ad but I have spoken to enough numpties and charlatans, when I have been enquiring about horses that I have actually considered buying without bothering with those I have no intention of dealing with.

joulsey

Visit site
I've often pressed the like button on FB when they have popped up on my news feed.

I would never dream of critising an ad or making comment. What's it to do with me? I don't know the owner or horse from adam. It would have to be something truly awful to make me consider it, but in that case I would be alerting authorities instead

JoJo_

Visit site
I would do neither if it was just an advert on a website. Facebook is different though and I think if you advertise a horse through facebook you should be prepared for people to comment. I personally would only compliment if I really liked the look of the horse though, I wouldnt criticise.

I have seen a reasonably well known dealer who sells through FB be completely rude and obnoxious to anyone who dares to criticise in the slightest! I think that is rather unprofessional and would say her responses are more off putting than the initial criticism itself.

I sold my horse through FB last year and had lots of compliments and people tagging in their friends. Only frustrating part was the 70% of people PMing me about him wanting to loan or loan with view to buy when the advert said for sale only!

gmw

Visit site
Often I've wanted to ask people who are selling a horse why they live about 500 miles away from me. Very inconsiderate of them !!!!!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Often I've wanted to ask people who are selling a horse why they live about 500 miles away from me. Very inconsiderate of them !!!!!

It's always the way when you're looking for a horse they are all miles away when you're window shopping they all seem to be close .

Spit That Out

Visit site
The ad is on several sites but not Facebook and it clearly states to contact her via text or calling the number however some sites have access to my emails hence why I've had a couple of responses...one of which I though was rude.
However she has a couple of viewings this weekend so hopefully we can take the ads down if he sells?
I personally wouldn't bother contacting anyone unless I was interested in the horse especially to be mean but hey ho, each to their own.