Reporting obese horses

IrishMilo

Visit site
Who is most likely to care/investigate? It's a welfare issue and not just a case of slightly too much spring grass. Same person, multiple horses.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
We have a livery with multiple obese horses, she's been reported twice to the RSPCA. The first they said they were very concerned but as it was her first offence then they'd just monitor. We then reported her again last year, they came but the field officer never bothered to update us. Horses are still fat. I would never bother with the RSCPA again for a fat horse.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Thanks all, I've gone with BHS. I'm honestly disgusted at the state of them and how it's still allowed.

Last edited:

Smoky 2022

Visit site
rescue won’t do anything from my experience and I have reported way worse thing like horses without water and very very skinny horses.

Kaylum

Visit site
The animal welfare law is terrible. Unless an animal is practically on its last legs nothing can be legally done. What the charities can do is speak to the owners and help them understand how to care for horses. Many people think that a horse can just be seized by a charity but its quite a lengthy process and it usually involves trying to get the person to sign over their animals if they cannot look after them.

And charities do work with each other depending on the area and space available at the time. Sanctuaries are licensed for a certain number of animals they cannot just squeeze 10 more in here or there. They also work with foster carers who like the dog charities have people who take these animals in whilst they are being assessed. Unfortunately due to the current economic situation there are less and less foster homes available but more owners struggling financially.
It's a complicated situation but do keep reporting horse welfare cases as each case should be investigated.

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
I think the RSPCA only got involved with the one I knew because the BHS came out first and the horse was by a footpath - so I wonder if they got multiple calls

They never did much follow up though. I saw the horse a year later and he looked no different.

Follysmum

Visit site
WHW were excellent when a walker reported a poorly pony in a field my uncle rented to someone.
They contacted him as they couldn’t get hold of the owner and said if the pony wasn’t seen by a vet asap they would send one. My uncle got the vet and horse was pts .
Another time they went to a yard when my friend reported a lame lamintic pony and again they took action, they actually got the pony removed as it was so bad.