Reputable dealers near Yorkshire?

caileag

Visit site
Hi, I'm taking my first tentative steps towards ownership having part loaned for a few years. Would appreciate some reputable dealer recommendations in and around Yorkshire (would be looking for allrounder type to suit mostly happy hacker who also wants to do a bit of prelim dressage/fun rides/farm rides etc).

Also for people who have just bought recently - what came first - the livery yard or the horse? Did you have to 'reserve' a stable for a while first?
(My current yard is full up and tbh I would want to be somewhere with better hacking - would be looking between York and Leeds).

x

conkers

Visit site
Google Judi Thurloe. She is based near York.
I know a lot of people who have bought from her (including myself) and every horse she has sold has been exactly as described and has done the job the owner required.

I wanted a safe, sensible all rounder and that is exactly what she found me :)

LaurenDobson

Visit site
Rachel Turner (RT Equestrian) near Thirsk has a good reputation. I know a family who have recently bought a lovely Connemara pony from her and hes been schooled very well.

caileag

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Hearing good things about Ebor House. Few things to sort out before I start looking in earnest but hopefully here goes!

SMIS

Visit site
I would also recommend Judi Thurloe. I searched for 8 months for my first horse. I went to her twice and the second time she matched me up with what has turned out to be the perfect horse for me. I have owned him 11 months now and he is exactly as described. There are 6 horses on the yard I am at all from Judi and all as described. The only downside is her prices are high (but I was fine with that as I got a 3 month waranty which was perfect for me as I was terrified of being stuck with an unsuitable horse).
I was put off Ebor House by a work colleague who knows the lady who runs it.

Lissa

Visit site
I've been put of ebor house as well, friend got hers from them and he really wasn't what they said he was. Also in pretty poor condition. That was about two years ago so may be different now.

teacups

Visit site
A very knowledgeable person I know warned me off Judi Thurloe - interesting to see all these positive comments.

TigerTail

Visit site
Amazed at all the recommendations for JT - iv also heard bad things...

OP what type are you looking for ? I know of a couple for sale locally - word of mouth tends to be better than dealers....

Smarties

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Hearing good things about Ebor House. Few things to sort out before I start looking in earnest but hopefully here goes!

Can recommend Ebor house Tori Wright is a lovely lass and not pushy at all and will bend over backwards to accommodate you :)

MY OH bought her two from her and i was about to buy one for myself but it failed its vetting on problems with its heart beat. i dont know who was more devastated at the time Me or Tori

i know they have a facebook page also that they put all there latest horses up on

catherinem

Visit site
Tracey mcconnell in leeds...more of a producer than a dealer really.... Shes fab,ive got one on breaking livery with her at the min. She always has a few ponies in that are for sale... Depends what ur looking for though, she only has ponies upto 15hh usually.

tinker88

Visit site
Tracey mcconnell in leeds...more of a producer than a dealer really.... Shes fab,ive got one on breaking livery with her at the min. She always has a few ponies in that are for sale... Depends what ur looking for though, she only has ponies upto 15hh usually.

agree ^ tracey is very open and honest

I used to deal but due to a recent injury now stopped from last week

stace1

Visit site
I have 2 allrounders for sale at the min (only for sale due to lack of time, I have 3 and also work full time)

Both good to hack alone and in company, seen all traffic (stabled on a working farm)

Working well in the school, would make great family horses.

One has done all Riding Club Events inc... showing, XC and Showjumping successfully.

o\One is 16hh, the other is 16.2hh

If you interested feel free to pm me :D im in leeds x

JenHunt

Visit site
I've personally had not great experience with JT... nothing we tried there was 'as advertised'... bearing in mind I was 15 and moving onto horses, and maybe weighed 8st wet through I was not put on anything suitable though they sounded it in the ads. But maybe that's just my experience, and it was a fair few years ago now.

Helen Bell at Thirsk is also very good, brings a lot over from ireland, brings on and sells. Our field master out hunting has bought 2 off her and they're super, absolutely perfect for him, and they've bought a pony for their son off her too who is just brilliant.

hnmisty

Visit site
When I went to look round the yard I will be keeping my new horse at when everything finally gets sorted *touch wood*, she recommended Harold Craven to me. She said she doesn't usually recommend dealers, but she's used him for several of her riding school ponies and she's always been pleased with what she's had from him. (I'm in Sheffield, he's based somewhere just north of Shef I think).