Request to users of Charnwood Mill Brewers Yeast

I.M.N.

Visit site
I am desperately trying to get my horse onto brewers yeast but I can't find one he'll eat, so before I shell out £58 on 25kg of brewers yeast I cant use I was wondering if anyone would be willing to post me a small sample, just enough for a couple of feeds so I can see if he'll eat it. I've tried calling Charnwood Mill a few times but the phone just rings. I'm happy to pay. Thank you.

horseaddict

Visit site
When I first introduced it to my horses diet I strarted with a small amount and gradually increased it to the required amount. Mine weren't that keen to begin with but now eat it fine.

I.M.N.

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, I've tried introducing various brands slowly but as soon as I get close to the recommended amount he stops eating it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
not every batch is the same palatibility wise either.

Mine will absolutely not touch it so has yeasacc in case.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I don't know if it might be of any interest but I trialled brewers yeast from Global Herbs a while ago and it was very different to the powdery smelly brewers yeast I have used before.
It was granular and had no smell making it very much more palatable to my fussy horse.
Weirdly Global Herbs never got in touch after the trial so I've no idea if they started marketing the product, however the rep did tell me it was the exact brewers yeast as used in Protexin Gut balancer which my horse also readily eats and is fairly cheap. Might be worth a try?

dizzyneddy

Visit site
I feed brewers yeast to my horses but they aren't fussy eaters & its mixed well
in with linseed oil that l add. I hope you find a make of brewers yeast that they like as its a nightmare sometimes feeding a fussy eater.

sem9999

Visit site
Yea sacc culture (including things like protexin) and brewers yeast are quite different things, one should not be confused for the other.
As far as palatibility goes brewers yeast can be more difficult to accept, and batch/manufacturer does make a difference. Can remember a while back when Gold label changed supplier for their brewers yeast and suddenly all our horses stopped eating it. Not using charnwoods at the moment so cannot help with sample but have used it in the past and seemed to be quite palatable then. Found with fussy eaters that it needs to be introduced in very small quantities and only very slowly increased (think 6 months to get to a normal dose!).

I.M.N.

Visit site
I'm hoping to get him on it for his mud fever as is worked wonders with my last horse. I used to use the feedmark one and the whole yard ate it no problem then feedmark got a new batch and now no one will touch it (apart from one, but I'm sure he would eat bute and norodine out your hand!). He's not a fussy eater by any means so I didn't think this would be such a problem. Horses! Thank you for all your suggestions/advice so far.

seejay

Visit site
Wouldn't have thought the manufacturer would make any difference isn't brewers yeast brewers yeast. If he doesn't like it he doesn't like it.

Different batches of brewers yeast can be very different in taste and texture. It is made out of what is left after an alcoholic drink is brewed, so its flavour/palatability will vary depending on which drink has been made with it, and then by how long it has been cooked for and how finely it has been ground.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yea sacc culture (including things like protexin) and brewers yeast are quite different things, one should not be confused for the other.
As far as palatibility goes brewers yeast can be more difficult to accept, and batch/manufacturer does make a difference. Can remember a while back when Gold label changed supplier for their brewers yeast and suddenly all our horses stopped eating it. Not using charnwoods at the moment so cannot help with sample but have used it in the past and seemed to be quite palatable then. Found with fussy eaters that it needs to be introduced in very small quantities and only very slowly increased (think 6 months to get to a normal dose!).

FWIW I am not confusing the two- they are comparable for the purposes for which they are fed and many people feed yeasacc when having issues with horses eating BY/batch variation. Hopefully this quote from Fransurrey will help from an earlier thread.

Both contain B vitamins, the extract simply contains them, whilst live yeast secretes them.

Both potentially alleviate inflammation in the gut. Studies have shown that yeast supernatant (the liquid left when you remove the yeast from the culture!) also reduces inflammation, whilst cell walls from S. cerevisiae (and the variant, boulardii) contain Mannose-rich Oligosaccharides (MOS). These bind to a component of pathogenic bacteria (mannose-containing lectin) and prevent it from binding to the gut wall (and thus preventing inflammation and all the nastiness that goes with it!).

So, you can feed BY or Yea-sacc, but as Oberon says, supply of extract is variable and I've switched for exactly the same reason. The studies are all very well, but somehow I don't think every brewing batch is standardised according to cytokine assay results... ;)

Another advantage of live yeast is that it forms a protective 'biofilm' in the gut, so in theory you can feed less. :)

cundlegreen

Visit site
I've tried to contact them repeatedly, emails are not replied to and when I call it just rings out.

They are my local feed merchants, and I'm in there on Mon so will have a word with them re a sample. They may well have been shut for the whole Xmas period, as they don't open on Saturdays any more. PM me your details, and I'll pass it on. You are ringing 01728 622300??

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Just to add that when I used to buy the Charnwood brewers yeast, it varied from sack to sack depending on where they get it from.

The horse I had at the time wasn't fussy and generally liked it so it wasn't a problem but with a fussy horse you could find yourself stuck with a lot.

Cadburys_addict

Visit site
this is really interesting thread....previously fed gold label Brewers yeast and my boy would eat it but now he won't touch the batch I bought late last year no matter how small the amount and its mixed in with linseed....and he will eat the equidermis plus that has BY in that's made by feedmark....am trying him on another make...to be fair the lady from feedmark said to me at Olympia that it can vary from batch to batch as well....

I.M.N.

Visit site
They are my local feed merchants, and I'm in there on Mon so will have a word with them re a sample. They may well have been shut for the whole Xmas period, as they don't open on Saturdays any more. PM me your details, and I'll pass it on. You are ringing 01728 622300??

I was trying before the Christmas period, thank you but not to worry as ameeyal has very kindly offered to send me a sample.

cundlegreen

Visit site
I was trying before the Christmas period, thank you but not to worry as ameeyal has very kindly offered to send me a sample.

Fair enough. I ring my order in, and have never had a problem getting hold of them, hence querying whether you had the right number.