Rescue operation underway in Surrey

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It just doesn't make financial sense to me. What is the carcass of a skinny 13hh pony worth? Since there are fields of these ponies all over the country why has nobody seen them in transit? Even if the odd lorry load slipped through without proper papers there must be literally dozens of these lorries and EU slaughterhouses big enough to deal with these numbers are surely subject to regulation. My favoured speculation that they are used to cover drug smuggling would at least make it financially feasible and also explain why they don't bother to feed them. I believe the lorry at the Ripley site was burnt out 24 hours after the raid which is suspicious.
Unfortunately we will never know.

meleeka

Visit site
It just doesn't make financial sense to me. What is the carcass of a skinny 13hh pony worth? Since there are fields of these ponies all over the country why has nobody seen them in transit? Even if the odd lorry load slipped through without proper papers there must be literally dozens of these lorries and EU slaughterhouses big enough to deal with these numbers are surely subject to regulation. My favoured speculation that they are used to cover drug smuggling would at least make it financially feasible and also explain why they don't bother to feed them. I believe the lorry at the Ripley site was burnt out 24 hours after the raid which is suspicious.
I believe exports go through Ireland to Europe. The do have passports, but it’s the same dozen for all of them, nobody checks the horses match, so you can just have the right number of passports permantly in the cab. They aren’t notified as meat either, just leisure horses so less checks.

Even if they get £10 for a carcass, it’s still profit when you consider the horses cost £0 to keep, especially when flygrazed and bred from each year.

stangs

Visit site
I’m sure a skinny carcass is mostly useless as far as human consumption, but for a captive big cat..? At minimum, it’s enrichment.

Awful to think about nonetheless. How many foals suffered under that man? How many foals were born, ripped away from their dams, and shipped off to slaughter without ever having known a kind hand or a full belly?