Rescue organisations not checking

Visit site
My next door neighbours who recently moved in with a staffie that was left at home for 12 hours every weekday lost the dog a couple of weeks ago from a stroke. While sad, I must admit I heaved a sigh of relief because I had been stressing about the dog, who was never walked and just let out only in a very small garden. Today they told me they had a new dog from a rescue ,another staff. They must surely have lied about their circumstances as no reputable rescue would rehome surely ? Those of you trying to rehome through a rescue that are away for a few hours a day and have been refused, perhaps the way forward is not to be truthful about your away from home time ! I feel stress levels rising again, old dog used to howl.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Are you sure they got it from an actual rescue? Could have been a council pound or a private rehome or a Facebook group.

'Rescue' seems to be a catch-all term. I know a guy with two dogs he bought and paid for from (not terrible) breeders but he tells people they are rescues because he 'considers them' rescues.

Shoei

Visit site
There are some very dubious formal rescues. We went to look at a dog, came away to think about it and they called us and said we could have it the next day as long as we paid cash. No checks! We didn't take the dog and have since found out most rescues won't rehome to us as being on a farm we don't have 6ft high perimeter fencing. Which is a pitty but a whole other thread!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yes but anyone can say anything.
People buy dogs off Gumtree and consider it rescue.
People get a dog out of the pound and call it a rescue.
People privately rehome a dog that lived happily on a yard and call it a rescue because it now sleeps on the sofa.

{97702}

Visit site
I am just in the middle of cleaning my house from top to bottom before my home check this afternoon..... the irony does escape me that I was thinking as I washed the kitchen floor AGAIN ‘this house would stay a lot cleaner if I didn’t have so many dogs’ 😂😂😂

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I would assume council pound - they often don't have the resources to home check everyone and particularly if they've had a dog before they might just take them at their word or a phone reference from their vet.

I have one legit rescue and one I refer to as a free ad special. :p

bonny

Visit site
I suppose anyone can buy a puppy/dog if you want one and a home check is not very relevant to how the dog could be kept, I think it’s more important to be able to judge the person concerned and quiz them on their experience, expectations etc

deb_l222

Visit site
People lie to get what they want, it’s a sad fact of life.

When it comes to dog rescue, when prospective owners are looking at dogs, they may promise to walk the dogs twice a day with a trot round the block at night. The reality is, they plan to do nothing of the sort but what can you do? There has to be some trust somewhere.

It’s the same when dogs are surrendered. “Oh gosh, Rover is a superb dog and has never chewed or bitten anyone. It’s just us that haven’t got time for him anymore”. Turns out Rover is a little git who got bored to tears and has gone completely off the rails. Loves children but couldn’t eat a whole one 😢

If you have welfare concerns for the pooch, ring the dog warden or RSPCA. My neighbours have a staffy from a very reputable South Yorkshire general rescue. She’s never walked but has a massive garden to run in. I’m sure the rescue would prefer it if she got out and had a walk but she’s well taken care of in all other respects but I would imagine they lied to get her 😡