Rescue ponies

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
I would really, really love to give a home to a rescued pony or horse! You see, we're getting a horse share next year!!!! -so, so, so excited!-

Anyways, I'd prefer to buy/adopt from a rescue centre than get a previously loved pony, but seeing as this would be a first horse... (my mum's had ponies before, though, and I've ridden for years) I'd need it to be pretty chilled out. I'm going to walk down to the mounted police stables tomorrow and nag them x3 Ex-police horses are gorgeous. They get free vet service, too! But sometimes rescue ponies can be unpredictable and have uncurable problems, which I don't think we could cope with on a financial level
frown.gif

Buuut... Do you know of any rescue centres that adopt out their ponies within a couple of hour's drive from bristol? I'd rather full adoption then loan, I've always been uneasy about it. -shrugs- My friend had her loan pony sold by the owners, and she didn't even get a look-in...

Yep, I'm a veggie and all that. And I'm pretty patient and don't mind hours and hours of work in the pouring rain if that's what's required! I'm just not sure if a rescue pony is suitable or not...

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
A rescue pony isnt just about hours in the pouring rain, you get that with any pony.
TBH I wouldnt get a rescue as a first pony. Firstly, you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere that would have anything even rideable, they tend to be little shetlands and companions only.
Rescue centres are VERY stringent on who they loan to. They don't do full adoption, it will always belong to them...and they never sell them.

You really need to be looking to buy something of your own, or go for a share. Something about 14.2hh, safe as houses etc etc.

Rescue ponies often have huge psychological problems, which require a great deal of patience and time and most of all expertise. In the wrong hands, this could be potentially very dangerous.

Chex

Visit site
I would be a little wary of police horses, most of them seem to have knackered legs. Some rescue horses are ok, I used to ride one that was fine, he was only 3 when rescues though

GTs

Visit site
We got Baby Sky Rocket from an auction - she was going to be eaten. She was a lovely little pony, nothing to look at, couldn't do anything (we did ride her a couple times), but it is nice taking care of something who needs it.

She had no psychological problems - got a bit pushy a couple times, but after being put in her place she behaved perfectly.

Sky.jpg

GTs

Visit site
See I am nicer than people on here make me out to be - I do not have a current one. She started to look good, but the people who own the land, and technically own her (there were three people together who saved her) changed the feed and she lost some condition, so when I left for Boston she did not look quite as good as she did. I will see if I can get a more recent picture.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Horseworld is in Bristol. I had a horse on loan from horseworld... he was great. I went to visit them and they showed my Bob. He was at Horseworld because he had chucked someone off (someone who wasn't supposed to be riding him) and they had broken their wrist. They then decided to sue (!) and the owner ended up unable to afford to keep him. (well, that is the story I was told)

Idon't know his history but he was fab. No vices/no issues - we had a blast together. Here is a picture of us doing some cross country together and just enjoying ourselves (excuse my leg position - this is before I did my year on the yards & my riding was pretty rough and ready) He was a gent, the perfect schoolmaster, and he taught me LOADS. I still miss him.

logsadj.jpg

CollectedTrot.jpg

Anyway, I would recommend horseworld 100% - they do regular home checks, are always at the end of the phone if you are worried and are able to take the horses back if something goes wrong.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
We had a pony on loan from the Blue Cross for a few years, Our Kevin was lovely. Little welsh chap for my daughter as our other "rescue" was unrideable off the lead!

he was great and Blue Cross were quick to make a decision. We called at the beginning of the week, went to see him that weekend and took him home on the Sunday.

Sadly after several bad bouts of laminitis before blue cross and ourselves, it had affected his pedal bones. He was sound for a couple of years, but despite no lamititis attacks and careful management he begain to have problems. We had him x rayed and his pedal bones had once again rotated badly.

He returned to the blue cross for use as a companion, but then had another attack of laminitis and was sadly put to sleep. He wasnt young, and he had a good few nice years but still miss him. He was fab and Blue Cross were too.

Parkranger

Visit site
I suppose it depends on what you feel capable of taking on....could you deal with a horse with 'issues'. When I got my boy he had a few issues on the ground and I found them hard enough to deal with...

equibabe20

Visit site
I personally would stay away from police horses as where i work we take all the retired ones and the last few have been nasty, one in particular was very very nasty to other horses and people when a rider fell of he would attack them hence why at 12 he was sent to us to be retired but sadly ended up being pts. A lot of them have lots of health problems ie.. legs, sight etc... which is why they are normally retired. it would also depend what sort of work you would be doing with them and how experienced you are as they all tended not to cope well with retirement and became pushy etc...

the watcher

Visit site
I second the unsuitability of Police horses, contrary to popular belief, they are not an easy ride and are used to a very specific way of handling and working..there was one at Milton Keynes that would regularly throw off any rider other than one or two he would 'allow' to get on board.

Rescue horses in general deserve a knowledgable home, if we are going to preserve their lives in the face of sometimes horrific injuries or neglect then they certainly should not go to a novice handler.

nemlin

Visit site
oh my god SouthWestWhippet my mums friend has just taken loan of bob! what a small world...!

he is so lovely pm me if you want more details about how he is now etc
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

emma69

Visit site
Ex-Police and rescue horses take a lot of work and a lot of patience, I wouldn't recommend them for a novice owner (even if you have been riding a long time) Why not try and get a regular horse on loan for a couple of years, and take it from there?