Rescue recommendations

Rana

Visit site
Can anyone recommend any rescues who look at the individual home, rather than based purely on a standard form?

I know about Many Tears, but any other suggestions would be welcomed :)

cobgirlie

Visit site
Little dog Rescue rehome countrywide and match dog to home, excellent rescue. Lizzies Barn, based in South Wales but exceptional rescue and work with owners and dogs to ensure the right mix. Friends of the animals RCT, not too sure of their rehoming policies but always been a fabulous help when looking for places.

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/sth-east.htm
might be something here you can try?

What sort of dog you looking for?

Rana

Visit site
Thanks both, will check those out :)

Not sure what sort of dog - personality more important than type. Needs to live with dog-confident cats and an over-confident 7 month old terrier bitch. I'm thinking of an older male dog, but still active and playful (or who will ignore Poppy Puppy's antics!). Also needs to be happy to be left alone as we both work (but I work locally so no commute and I go home at lunchtime, so not all day). Oh, and it needs to fit into our small house and garden (access to larger play areas daily so garden less of a problem).

cobgirlie

Visit site
Try looking through the Oldies Club site too. They have their own dogs and other rescues use the site to promote dogs. They are 7 and over so nowhere near actually 'old' in dog terms!! A couple of mine are oldie club dogs and still going strong!;)

joyrider

Visit site
homes4dogs in cambridgeshire have some lovely rescues. They have a website www.homes4dogs.co.uk and a forum with info on all dogs they have - they also accept that people do have to work unlike some of the rescues that state they will not rehome pups to people that work, I understand they don't want pups being left 'home alone' but like in your circs it would only be for a few hours when they would more than likely be sleeping/resting.

Rana

Visit site
Love the sound of the Oldies Club! Do they have a website, or does it come up on Google?

Will have a look at Homes4Dogs - you're exactly right, it's a maximum of 4.5 hours, then an hour of walk/play/company, then 2.5 hours to sleep before party time at the stables. Poppy needs to be asleep all day so she can torment the resident Springers when she arrives at the yard :D

HelsB

Visit site
Battersea dogs home look at your individual circumstances in relation to the dog you want rather than a standard yes or no

Rana

Visit site
Thanks CG, will have a look now.

HB, that's interesting, I wasn't too sure if the "big" rescues would look at individual homes as they must be inundated with calls. I'll give them a go too :)

Foxyfilly

Visit site
homes4dogs in cambridgeshire have some lovely rescues. They have a website www.homes4dogs.co.uk and a forum with info on all dogs they have - they also accept that people do have to work unlike some of the rescues that state they will not rehome pups to people that work, I understand they don't want pups being left 'home alone' but like in your circs it would only be for a few hours when they would more than likely be sleeping/resting.

Sorry but I wouldnt recommend that place, none of the dogs are neutered, vacced or
wormed. Horrendous place.

joyrider

Visit site
Sorry but I wouldnt recommend that place, none of the dogs are neutered, vacced or
wormed. Horrendous place.

Mine was - maybe I was lucky but then again I'm glad I've got her rather than leaving her in a rescue. It's not the prettiest place I agree but I went to rescue a dog that needed a home.

CAYLA

Visit site
Can anyone recommend any rescues who look at the individual home, rather than based purely on a standard form?

I know about Many Tears, but any other suggestions would be welcomed :)

We don't do the form filling thing, its all about a good old chat and home check, bt like CC says we are a distance.