Rescue with unreasonable requirements?.

s4sugar

Visit site
"My new owners will be expected to continue my training, take me to training classes and provide me with a minimum of one hour of off lead exercise in the park every day."

Most rescue groups insist a dog is NOT let off lead, to start with at least. New dog - let off because the rescues says so = avoidable incident.

Also a young dog of this breed probably should have two or three shorter sessions rather than an hour as this implies.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don't think the requirements are unreasonable. I do think they're badly worded - I expect they mean (and would clarify when talking to prospective owners) that the dog needs a total of 1 hour off lead each day, split over several walks - especially while it's young. I also presume they mean off-lead when the dog is sufficiently established in its new home / training level etc - or let off in an enclosed space. One hopes they're just being imprecise...

s4sugar

Visit site
One hopes they're just being imprecise...

We can hope.

That looks a lovely boy and I bet he had BIG PAWS as a puppy.

Unfortunately all too often these statements are taken as gospel and that is not a dog most people would want to meet in the park until a lot of training and a good recall is in place.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I dont think its an unreasonable request and like the above poster I just saw it as badly worded.

When I took on Darcy & Diesel at 18months and they came as a package, Dobermann Welfare had discussed with me how I was going to exercise them. Idid say they would be on a lead for at least a week and they would be exercised separately to make sure they had good recall and I had formed a bond with them. Plus they knew I had Dobermanns before and was aware of their exercise requirements.

Spudlet

Visit site
I have to say that I don't find the idea that someone should be expected to train and exercise a dog all that horrific really.

NikkiF

Visit site
They're probably being so specific due to long experience :( Wanting to make sure prospective owners understand the committment required, and not wanting to see the poor dog ending up back in a rescue centre!!

lexiedhb

Visit site
Sadly some rescues & adopters expect just that.

I dont expect the Mayhew is one of them. I imagine it would be explained to potential owners that the dog needs to bond with you/ be trained before allowing it to go rampaging off into the distance. I know I was told to keep dex on a lead for at least 2 weeks- longer if needed. As it turns out he is not an offlead dog.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
surely they will have a conversation with the new owner rather than just send them home with an internet print out.

I see nothing wrong with highlighting the amount of work and input longer term that this dog is going to require. What it requires for the first month or so is by the by really it is what he requires longer term that is the most important surely.

HeatherAnn

Visit site
Surely this is just a rough guide for before you enquire about the dog. Doubt they let you trundle on home with a dog without going through the specifics. No one wants to trawl through pages of info. So they keep it simple. I don't see the problem tbh...