Rescued a pony supposed to be a childs pony but not.....

claire1976

Visit site
.... suitable.
My sister and I took on a gorgeous pony from a rescue centre. She is really super natured and friendly but no way a novice ride. She was adopted out to us as suitable for children to ride and as we have 4 between us that was important.
My nephew who is 6 is quite a good little rider but she took off with him and he lost his confidence. I have two older girls now riding her as they are more experienced and can handle her.
We'd love to keep her but she's not really going to be suitable for what we wanted. However, the rescue centre we got her from is not great - they do their best but can't possibly give all the ponies the care and attention needed due to limited staff and funds.
She looks 100% better since we've had her and fed her properly etc.
I'd feel awful sending her back but I don't have the space to keep an extra pony as I now need to find something else for the kids.
What would you do ....????
confused.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
TBH I would send it back, or offer to keep it until they find a new home for it. If it's not what you want then why keep it?? sometimes you have to have a hard heart.

the watcher

Visit site
the fact that these older girls can handle her means that she does have some sort of future, so i wouldn't feel too bad about handing her back..maybe you could line up a potential new home, subject to their approval..then you are free to find the one that is right for you

claire1976

Visit site
I know, would love to keep and if grazing wasnt an issue I would keep her forever no problem. But she's taking up the space for another pony that would be suitable for the job.
It would be a good idea though to see if I can keep her until they find a suitable home. Unfortunately they don't actively seek homes, it more of a word of mouth thing.
Do you think if I found someone willing to take her they'd be willing to homecheck them and re-adopt?

claire1976

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the fact that these older girls can handle her means that she does have some sort of future, so i wouldn't feel too bad about handing her back..maybe you could line up a potential new home, subject to their approval..then you are free to find the one that is right for you

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh for sure, she's a super pony, but forward going and keen to get on with things so not ideal for novice kids. She'd make a super riding club pony as she seems willing to give anything a go despite her poor background and lack of experience.

allijudd

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It would be a good idea though to see if I can keep her until they find a suitable home. Unfortunately they don't actively seek homes, it more of a word of mouth thing.
Do you think if I found someone willing to take her they'd be willing to homecheck them and re-adopt?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats quite a good idea thenyo could talk to the people taking her on s she can get the proper home she needs with teenagers who can competantly handle her...im sure the rescue society would jump at the chance....