Reseeding grazing.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My paddock right by the stables is quite small, I think 1.5 acres. We fenced and planted (?) it about 3/4 years ago. It never really took off properly. The grass firstly took forever to come through in the first place but then it’s always been a bit thin and patchy looking.
In winter I use it trash paddock style as in i turnout daily, even in bad weather I try and get them out a bit. On the plus side it’s very dry well drained land so great for winter with plenty of hay, they are never stood round up to their knees in mud! but just won’t grow!
After a harsh summer (it was brown and looked dead) and having had a hammering this winter we plan to reseed.
Q is ideally when? and how long do I leave it for before grazing again? It’s also ideal for summer as it’s pretty fly free so would like to use it over horse fly season if that’s feasible?

Equi

Visit site
Honestly, it would probably benefit from a good two summers/winters out of action. Should be seeding it just coming out of summer, then let it be the next summer but top it down and keep the weeds out. The next year it should grow tick and lush and youll want it back to the patch :D

be positive

Visit site
I agree it needs a year or two with no horses on if you go to the expense of reseeding it, you may find giving it a rest this spring, harrowing well, fertilising and just spreading a bit of seed in bare areas once the ground is warm will help otherwise I think you will be wasting money if you expect to continue to use it this summer and over the following winter, the grass will never get a chance to fully root and you will be back to the same next spring, possibly worse if we have a wet winter.

JillA

Visit site
It germinates best when the soil is warm and moist, and you have to consider whether birds ate a lot of it last time? Late spring or after the first rains of autumn is the best time and you really need to not graze it for 18 months tl allow the roots to develop - I usually mow for hay in the first year. You could consider overseeding if you know someone who can do that? It drills seed directly into the ground and is really useful for beefing up old swards. You still need to rest it for a fair while before grazing though - grazing animals will pull it out by the roots before it has become established.
I feed hay on any bald patches, the seed drops out and with luck germinates - and if it doesn't survive long it hasn't cost anything

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Oh! 😩 that’s a no go then. What a nightmare. I say it’s the closest paddock to the stables, I really mean it the other bits of grazing I have involve a fair walk on roads and as I have to turnout in the dark this is the only winter option.
It’s a double edged sword having a farmer as a husband! I’ve been told it’s being done (over sown I think as above) in a few weeks, I have to rest it for a month or two and off we go.... thought that sounded a bit too good to be true. Absolutely no point arguing with him though, what do I know- he’s a farmer 👨‍🌾
Balls

JillA

Visit site
Set up a track around the edge (electric fence an inner fence) and allow the middle to grow. Depending on how many horses and how well they normally do you may well have to feed hay but.......he's a farmer lol. And it will do their feet good and may do their waistlines good too
(If he's such a good farmer ask him how come it failed last time :) )

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Set up a track around the edge (electric fence an inner fence) and allow the middle to grow. Depending on how many horses and how well they normally do you may well have to feed hay but.......he's a farmer lol. And it will do their feet good and may do their waistlines good too
(If he's such a good farmer ask him how come it failed last time :) )
Believe me I have, he doesn’t think it did fail and actually pipes up with crap like “oh it’s really tillering out or that’s greened up since yesterday”

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have thought about a track out there but decided against it as it’s a very odd shape. It go’s round the edge of some buildings, great for shelter but gets too narrow in two places to have a track.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
If you want to do it properly then you need to do the following:
Get it soil tested to find out if there are any mineral deficiencies.
Use total kill and kill all the grass and leave until all dead.
You may have to use total kill again.
cultivate the soil.
Choose the seed and then direct drill it or broadcast it.
Roll.
Do not put horses on it for 3 full years and it that period cut and collect it three times during the growing period to dense it up.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
We don’t own it so realistically paying to rent ground and not use it for any huge length of time is a no.
It was just a thought, it will come back and does get better each year I just thought it would be a good idea. I want it properly good but we might have moved on by the time I use it again if I properly reseed