Respiratory Infection??

Helga1980

Visit site
M suffers with a slight dust / pollen allergy but with the combination of environmental management and D&H Breathe Free it's always been kept under control.

Hacked out with a friend last night and had a bit of a canter, but had to pull him up as he was weezing away like a old woman with a distinct 'whistling' tone there! He then took 5 minutes for his breathing to come back to normal. Led him home and by the time we got back he had a clear/white discharge, his temperature was normal and he seemed his usual perky self and demanded his tea in usual fashion!

I've asked his owner to get the vet to him, I think he's coming on Tuesday but owner hasn't confirmed yet and am going to keep him off work until then.

Am feeling extremely guilty as I've only been riding this horse for 6 weeks and already seem to have broken him
frown.gif

Can an infection appear overnight? He was fine on Wednesday night - charged round the school like an idiot when I was schooling him and then was as lethargic as h*ll last night.

Tempi

Visit site
was he fit before you started riding him? whats he fed, how often was he ridden before you started and how often do you ride him now? what hay is he on? is it soaked? dust free bedding/shavings? (sorry for all the questions, my mare has dust allergy too!)

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Yes, they can suddenly grind to a halt with an infection and there's nothing like respiratory trouble to stop them literally in their tracks. Any inflammation in the URT will restrict the upper airway and produce some characteristic noises and difficulty breathing. It will be useful if you can describe the noises to the vet! Rest and fresh air management is the best first aid with close monitoring and seeking vet's advice as a precaution. Good luck and don't worry.

Helga1980

Visit site
P_G

* He was reasonably fit when I started, previous loanee had been riding him 4 days a week and there was only a week between us.

* I spent the first month mainly hacking (lots of hillwork) to make sure the fitness was there. I ride him 6 days a week and 2 weeks ago started competing (SJ). Last weekend his recovery rate was pretty good.

* He's out 24/7 now and isn't having any hay as the fields are still quite green and are being rotated every 6 - 8 weeks.

* In the winter he's in over night on rubber matter with a sprinkling of shavings (am planning to have a bigger bed to avoid ammonia issues but haven't yet figured out what to use) and haylage.

Anything you can advise would be really helpful as I've not had to deal with breathing problems before.
crazy.gif

Thanks

Helga1980

Visit site
Thanks Brighteyes - trying not to worry, just very frustrating as he is full of the joys of spring in himself and apart from a tiny bit of discharge from one nostril was fine when I went up to the yard this afternoon.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
If the snot gets smelly and/or the noises continue or re-occur call the vet asap. His lung function and condition is integral to his health and ability to work. Otherwise go by what he is telling you. Stop fretting over his management - it sounds fine to me!

Helga1980

Visit site
Vet was on yard this morning to give another livery his jabs so asked him to take a quick look at M.

No sign of any infection and breathing normal (for him anyhow!). Vet put it down to his pollen allergy playing up - did discuss putting him on a course of Ventapulmin but decided against it, has recommended that we carry on 'managing' his environment and see how he goes.

Thanks for all the advice!