Respiratory infection

SVMel

Visit site
Hoping that someone has come across the same thing!!!!

My 11 year old great dane x collie (don't ask!!!) went for his boosters a few weeks ago, but didn't have them due to a very rattly chest. This was to my surprise as he hadn't been coughing or in any way under the weather. Two weeks later, a little better, but not good enough to have boosters still. Vet decided to do a blood test, chest x rays then possibly an in depth ultrasound to find out what was going on, after we got back from holiday.
He must be a bit under the weather as he picked up a violent vomiting bug on holiday (only a couple of hours away from home). Got over this with usual sick nursing methods, went to have his work up done today.

History is, that he has mast cell cancer, diagnosed a couple of years ago. We thought that his time was coming, most likely his lungs would be found to be full of secondary tumours, in vets opinion. However, the bloods showed up anaemia (cause unknown), raised liver enzymes and high white blood count. X ray showed no obvious tumours, but you could see all the bronchioles (airway branches, if you like) in his lungs. Rest of lungs clear.

They think it could just be that there may be a deep seated chest infection whose symptoms have been masked for a while by the steriods he takes for the mast cell cancer. He will be on antibiotics for a while, with weekly check ups to see progress, if any.

Has anyone dealt with infection like this in their dogs? The only symptoms he's displaying are weight loss and slightly laboured breathing. I'm stumped as to why it looks so yukky in his tubes, but he never coughs?!

Hot choccy to anyone who got this far, and jelly tots to anyone who answers lol!!!!!

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Sorry to hear your boy is poorly :(

My knowledge of mast cell cancer is limited to say the least, so apologies if my suggestions seem dim!

Could there be a tumour elswhere in his body, thats causing a bleed & thus that could be why your boy is anaemic? Is there a possibility the cancerous cells have spread to the bone marrow, hence the high white blood cell count?

SVMel

Visit site
I wondered this. The vet did have a quick scan of his liver and spleen for bleeding, as this is where she would have expected to see any. But there was no sign as far as she could see. As for the bone marrow, its a very good point, and I will ask when we see her again in a week.

Thanks for the suggestion, its made me think. The only thing is, I would have thought he would have appeared very poorly, like humans who have cancerous cells in the bone marrow (or at least, I think they are) and he simply isn;t!!! He's happy, nagging me for more food, enjoying his walks etc.

I don't know what to think lol!!!

Ever hopeful, and as long as he's happy, so am I :)

xx

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I really don't know how painful or the effects of bone marrow cancer on the body are :(

You know your boy best & like you say, if hes happy & not in pain then carry on with what you're doing.

Wishing you all the best with him:)

EAST KENT

Visit site
It may not be related at all..but just as a precaution worm him for lungworm.Easiest route is probably Advocat spot on wormer,or Milbemax by mouth.It does cause the symtoms you write of,and is missed so often by vets.Good luck.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
^^^ What EK said. Are there lots of slugs, snails or foxes where you are, Tennessee?
I'd also scan his nether regions if poss, coughing can be a symptom of problems in the bladder.

SVMel

Visit site
Many thanks everyone! The area I'm in is high risk for lungworm, and although he is regularly wormed, the first thing we did was cram him with more Milbemax, only for the tests to come back negative!

CC - I had no idea about the bladder / cough link. Learn summat new every day here!!! Will chat to the vet about that possibility, we see her again Tuesday.

He's taking his antibiotics well, although as usual, they are making him rather... smelly!! He's always been a stinky windy kind of dog with very sensitive guts, but you DEFINATELY know when he's on antibiotics lol!! He is doing ok, fingers crossed that the news is of an improvement on Tues!!!

Ta again!! Xxxxxxx