Respiratory problems? Should I be worried?

I See Clover

Visit site
I've had my mare just under a year now. We had a 5 stage vetting done which she passed with flying colours. She is a 10 year old connemara x highland.

In the first couple of minutes in trot (in school or out hacking) she will cough a couple of times (no more than twice). For as long as I can remember, she has always done this. But recently, it's got a bit worse. She has been coughing a bit more in the arena, again in the first few minutes of trot. I hacked her out yesterday and she started coughing again a good 5/6 times. I haven't noticed any wheezing, but have noticed a little discharge around her nostrils.

She has had most of November and start of December off as I had exams etc. Have been bringing her back into work since start of December.

Her stable is well ventilated, she is on wood pellets as bedding which can get a little dusty because she is so clean, but I dampen then every second day or so which prevents any dust. She is usually out in the field for 8 hours a day, but with the weather recently she has been kept in the odd day. She is fed haylege.

Should I be worried? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tammytoo

Visit site
Does she blow her nose after the cough? It may be the dust from her bedding just irritating her lungs a bit. Global Herbs do a supplement called Airways Plus which is very effective, it acts like Ventipulmin and opens up the airways but is a lot cheaper!

If you are on a big yard, perhaps you could share a vet visit with another livery if you are concerned.

I See Clover

Visit site
Yeah she always blows her nose afterwards. After that initial cough and blow of the nose she is fine. She doesn't do it any other time whilst riding and I haven't noticed her doing it in the field/stable etc.

There is also hay that is stored at the opposite end of the barn which could possibly have something to do with it? There isn't usually anymore than 2 bales stored at a time, but it is very dusty.

Will have a look into the Global Herbs supplement, thanks! Will see how she is over the next week or so and will think about getting the vet out if there is no improvement. Unfortunately I am on a small DIY yard, so no chance of a shared visit.