Rest in Peace Charisma Solitaire 1977 to 13th December 2008

gothdolly

Visit site
For anyone who remembers my posts, my beloved 31 year old mare was put to sleep today. She had cushings disease, and was unable to recover from an infection in the leg which developed into cellulitis despite repeated attempts at treatment (I presume due to suppressed immune system). I am heart broken, and it was harder to do than I could have possibly imagined. I hope it gets easier with time but I cant imagine how at the moment.

I chose to have her put to sleep rather than take her to hospital for IV fluids treatment in view of her advanced age and how ill she seemed. I do think this was the right decision but it still hurts and the guilt is horrendous although I cant think of anything else I should have done.

dozzie

Visit site
((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))

You did the right thing. You did your best to help her and things werent going to get better. You made your brave decision for her welfare and comfort.

RIP Solitairexxxx

Bubbles

Visit site
Oh Cass you poor thing, I'm so sorry to hear this. I went through the same this time last year, and like you I was in pieces. But, the hurt will ease, and you'll be left with all your lovely memories, and you will be comforted knowing that you did the right thing by your little old lady. Big hug xx

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
I am so sorry for your loss but I 100% think you did the right thing. A hospital stay for such an elderly pony with no guaranteed outcome would most likely be very distressing for her. She went peacefully at home - she could have asked for no more.

catembi

Visit site
Very sorry for you

FWIW, I felt the same when I lost Catembi in Feb 2007 - and I'd only had him 4 1/2 years. It was way too big a thing to assimilate & come to terms with.

Don't feel that you have to 'get over' it, or feel that the pressure is on to be able to 'remember the good times' etc. It takes some people longer than others. Even now, there is very little I wouldn't do to see Cat again.

Please PM me if it would help at all.

Angelbones

Visit site
I feel for you. I posted last week about my mare Valerie who I had pts on 2 Dec and as I 'chose' this option over surgery I feel terrible guilt so I do understand what you going through. I had huge support from everyone on the forum and they all say the same thing; it was the best thing for the horse, and that's what you have to remember. I have no doubt that you loved your horse to bits, and did your very best for her right up to and including her end. Time will help but it is a long road sadly. You were both lucky to have each other. Take care, and god bless. x

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
So very sorry it ended this way - but she really made the decision for you, didn't she. There was no way out of this one and it sounds like you acted soon enough for her not to have suffered unreasonably. When dealing with the treatment of elderly equines (or any animal, really) you have to weigh up outcome and quality of life during recovery against saving the heartbreak which will surely come for another day.

The pain will ease, and no question you did the right thing. You hurt because you loved her and cared deeply for her welfare and you will miss her with all your heart. Well done for being responsible and brave - and remember, 31 for a pony is old, it really is! She was very lucky to have you.

Flame_

Visit site
Really sorry to hear this. You should be proud you helped a cushings pony get to the grand age of 31. Well done for making the decision when you had to. She was a lucky pony to have you.

RIP Charisma Solitaire.
frown.gif

Rollin

Visit site
Of course you did the right thing. Feel proud to have cared for a horse until such an old age - I understand how you feel though I missed my 27 year old for weeks after he was put to sleep. Remember your happy times. Hugs.

bailey14

Visit site
I really feel for you. You probably don't think this now but you have been very lucky to have a horse to the grand old age of 31, I have lost 4 horses in less than 7 years all under the age of 13 so I can't imagine what it must be like to have an 'oldie' to have loved and lost at that age. My heart goes out to you. You undoubtedly did the right thing by your girl, fortunately I never had to make the choice in three of my horses cases as they choices were already made for me and the last one was the consultants choice. You could have gone on for longer, and regretted your decision if she had been suffering hanging on for those last few weeks and days. At least she had a brilliant life - I don't know you, but can judge from your post that you would have done the best for her throughout her wonderful life.

kellyeaton

Visit site
i am so sorry for your lose! time does heal but your heart still hurts well mine does after 7 months. the age of that horse is fantastic and you must think he only got there because of you. how long did he have cushings for? R.I.P beautiful horse and my heart and thoughts are with you!x