Restarting 20 year old problems, please advise :(

Kirstyx1

Visit site
Hello everyone, I wondered if anyone could shed any insight to my problem. Thank you for any replies x
My horse hasn't been ridden for 15 years and I tried restarting her about 3 weeks ago. The first 10 minute or so ride in the field she was perfectly behaved. It was like she had been ridden yesterday. The second time, fine. The third, she started to nap by the gate. Tiny rears, side stepping and refusing to move and I admittedly jumped off. Since then she has gotten progressively worse, and each time, I have gotten off. I thought it could be the saddle but tried bare back today and she hunched her back, ears back, maybe threatening to buck? She hurried forward and side stepping, half rears. My confidence is at zero as I haven't ridden for 15 years. I hired a trainer who did parelli with her for a hour but she actually seemed more worked up by the end and he was very unprofessional making inappropriate remarks towards my sister and I! I would hire another but don't have the money and can't box her to a lesson as I don't have a box now. Could she be on pain? Considering she is the same with or without the saddle? She looks actually scared, yet i have never raised a hand to her and she was half asleep the first couple of rides? Teeth and feet have been done. Sweet horse to handle on the ground. Thank you so much in advance for any help x

Kirstyx1

Visit site
Thanks for your reply, but apparently horses can be ridden well into their 20s if cared for well. I only intend to hack her nothing heavy

Leo Walker

Visit site
They can but not always. If you really want to ride this horse you need a proper MOT doing. Back, teeth, saddle, vet check and then get a good instructor involved. Start with ground work and very, very, very, very slowly build up to riding. At 20 with 15yrs off your looking at it taking 3 to 4 months before shes hacking steadily in walk with short bursts of trot, for up to an hour total max.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Always a negative troll in the midst

No. Not a "negative troll", just someone giving you a sensible answer....that you don't seem to like very much. Which kind of makes YOU the troll.....

The horse hasn't been ridden for 15 years, has NO residual fitness or muscle tone/memory, and is telling you to eff off. I suggest you listen.

EllenJay

Visit site
Always a negative troll in the midst
I don't think you can call Amymay a "troll". Very rude IMHO.

However, you can't take a horse who has done bugger all for 15 years and expect them to behave perfectly. Firstly, you need to get a vet check to make sure teeth, back and legs are up to work.
Then you need to treat them as an unbacked 3 year old.

I must say, I am very interested in why after 15 years you want to start riding this pony again.

Kirstyx1

Visit site
I think most people can see your replies are hardly constructive :) considering I used to xc and sj with her I think I have experience somewhat, however we all loose our way and our nerve from time to time even you the professional I expect :) I suspect you are telling everyone on here not to restart a older horse with alot of life left? If she is healthy which I am trying to make sure of before continuing then I don't see your issue?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I think most people can see your replies are hardly constructive :) considering I used to xc and sj with her I think I have experience somewhat, however we all loose our way and our nerve from time to time even you the professional I expect :) I suspect you are telling everyone on here not to restart a older horse with alot of life left? If she is healthy which I am trying to make sure of before continuing then I don't see your issue?

Which of us are you responding to?

Kirstyx1

Visit site
I don't think you can call Amymay a "troll". Very rude IMHO.

However, you can't take a horse who has done bugger all for 15 years and expect them to behave perfectly. Firstly, you need to get a vet check to make sure teeth, back and legs are up to work.
Then you need to treat them as an unbacked 3 year old.

I must say, I am very interested in why after 15 years you want to start riding this pony again.
Of course i dont expect her to behave perfectly, I am trying to figure out what could be the problem, i.e. pain/probably not wanting to work as she has been out of work a long while etc. Asked for a little advice not scathing comments

Kirstyx1

Visit site
No. Not a "negative troll", just someone giving you a sensible answer....that you don't seem to like very much. Which kind of makes YOU the troll.....

The horse hasn't been ridden for 15 years, has NO residual fitness or muscle tone/memory, and is telling you to eff off. I suggest you listen.

Haha, and you feel this is constructive? Whatever makes you feel better good for you. If you think older horses are useless I think you and your friend need a little more experience and knowledge not me...anyone would think I was trying to take her straight back into show jumping not starting off very gradually as I have been, that's the sad thing about the horse world, so many snotty people among the decent.

Auslander

Visit site
Don't worry folks. I've got this
aba2cb2eee8855bc76f3cfcf90bdcc6f.jpg

Auslander

Visit site
How mature

Ok. Mature answer.
Don't join an internet forum, and start mouthing off at people within days. You've been super rude to several posters who are actually extremely experienced, and who gave you good advice.

And regarding your horse. Many horses work well into their 20's very happily. The ones who have been in regular work all their lives, whose bodies are conditioned to be ridden. Your horse has not, so it would be unkind to try and turn her into a ridden horse after 15 years of retirement.

Theocat

Visit site
Okay, Kirsty:

Exactly how much work did you do on the first, second and third rides?

What was it that made you decide to jump off? Have you at any point "ridden her through" a bit of napping?

What does you vet say about bringing her back into work, and her behaviour now?

Kirstyx1

Visit site
How mature
Ok. Mature answer.
Don't join an internet forum, and start mouthing off at people within days. You've been super rude to several posters who are actually extremely experienced, and who gave you good advice.

And regarding your horse. Many horses work well into their 20's very happily. The ones who have been in regular work all their lives, whose bodies are conditioned to be ridden. Your horse has not, so it would be unkind to try and turn her into a ridden horse after 15 years of retirement.

Ok well, my lesson has been learned.. don't ask for help from anyone other than a vet. Example- " your horse is telling you to eff off" is that helpful or constructive? I don't think it is at all unkind if started very slowly, and if she is sound all round but I guess this is why I shouldn't ask for opinions from anyone other than professionals. What is unkind is how I have received a onslaught from members grouped together as a pack of bullies do. I wouldn't dream of riding her if I am told by the VET not to. She has been handled, loved and cared for 15 years but as I battled cancer I stopped riding. It was my passion and she was the best horse Iv ever ridden so apologies for wanting that back again.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
They can but not always. If you really want to ride this horse you need a proper MOT doing. Back, teeth, saddle, vet check and then get a good instructor involved. Start with ground work and very, very, very, very slowly build up to riding. At 20 with 15yrs off your looking at it taking 3 to 4 months before shes hacking steadily in walk with short bursts of trot, for up to an hour total max.

Basically this. There is both the physical aspect of her having no muscles developed to carry a rider anymore, plus being older will make her more prone to aches when the muscles are suddenly asked to do something again, and also there is the psychological aspect of her just not understanding why she should have to go do something when she's feeling a bit achy and used to being a lady of leisure. She probably went along with it the first few times because hey, why wouldn't she, and then as she's started to feel it a little bit she's said nah. And saying no thank you has been quite effective because she's gone back to her field and she may even think that this is what she was supposed to do.

If you really want to try working her again you need to get her a full mot and then condition her body and brain gradually again to build her up, making sure you are always setting yourselves up to succeed. And be mindful of the fact that it will take an old horse much longer to build up muscle fitness than a youngster.

Auslander

Visit site
Ok well, my lesson has been learned.. don't ask for help from anyone other than a vet. Example- " your horse is telling you to eff off" is that helpful or constructive? I don't think it is at all unkind if started very slowly, and if she is sound all round but I guess this is why I shouldn't ask for opinions from anyone other than professionals. What is unkind is how I have received a onslaught from members grouped together as a pack of bullies do. I wouldn't dream of riding her if I am told by the VET not to. She has been handled, loved and cared for 15 years but as I battled cancer I stopped riding. It was my passion and she was the best horse Iv ever ridden so apologies for wanting that back again.

Oh do get a grip. you silly woman.

I do agree with one point - your vet should be your first port of call. If you insist on trying to bring a horse back into work after 15 years, and she is objecting, you need to make absolutely damn sure that she isn't in pain.

Kirstyx1

Visit site
Okay, Kirsty:

Exactly how much work did you do on the first, second and third rides?

What was it that made you decide to jump off? Have you at any point "ridden her through" a bit of napping?

What does you vet say about bringing her back into work, and her behaviour now?

Hello Theocat, about 10 minutes each time, a little walk about the field, no actual work. Just getting her used to me being on her back, to see how she was with it etc. I have lunged her for roughly 2 weeks prior with no tack and then with tack. It was silly to jump off each time she napped toward the gate, I have lost my nerve I guess. Of course I don't blame her at all for not wanting to after so long, I just thought she might gradually learn to enjoy it again, she loves going in hand on walks out. She had no vices before so I don't know why I worry about the what ifs. My vet is booked in for next week, probably should have waited for him to check her first. Thanks for replying

EllenJay

Visit site
What is unkind is how I have received a onslaught from members grouped together as a pack of Bullies
To be fair - you were the first person who started an argument by calling a well respected and knowledgeable member of the forum a "troll" - and no-one has ganged up on you until this point.
Everyone has said that you need a vet check, and to bring her back slowly. What more advice do you want?

Kirstyx1

Visit site
Basically this. There is both the physical aspect of her having no muscles developed to carry a rider anymore, plus being older will make her more prone to aches when the muscles are suddenly asked to do something again, and also there is the psychological aspect of her just not understanding why she should have to go do something when she's feeling a bit achy and used to being a lady of leisure. She probably went along with it the first few times because hey, why wouldn't she, and then as she's started to feel it a little bit she's said nah. And saying no thank you has been quite effective because she's gone back to her field and she may even think that this is what she was supposed to do.

If you really want to try working her again you need to get her a full mot and then condition her body and brain gradually again to build her up, making sure you are always setting yourselves up to succeed. And be mindful of the fact that it will take an old horse much longer to build up muscle fitness than a youngster.

Dabdab, and Leo walker, thank you that is definately helpful. Makes perfect sense. I will have her thoroughly checked and be as slow as she needs