Restarting a horse... and I have found my loan horse!

_jetset_

Visit site
I went seeing a lovely WBxTB 5 year old mare this afternoon, and she is exactly what I am looking for... a project while Hannah is pregnant and then has her foal at foot.

She was broken last year and then turned away... she was lunged for a short while today (quite laid back) so I decided to get on her. Put some weight in the stirrup and then leaned on her, then put my leg over and sat on. She was very good! Walked her around on the lunge for five minutes then on her own!

So, I am going to pick her up when I get back from my holiday and her education will begin... this is all quite new to me although Han and I did a similar thing, but she was a little further along.

So, I was just wondering whether anyone had any advice for me? I am hoping to take it nice and slowly, but not too slowly if you know what I mean... The first few weeks are going to be lunging, then just hopping on for a short time. Is this the right approach to take?

Rebecca

spike123

Visit site
It is important that the mare understands your voice aids on the lunge as that is how she will learn to understand your ridden aids later on.I usually begin with just using my voice and steering and stopping aids which I have put in place with long reining first and then introduce the leg aids at the same time as my voice aids gradually just using the leg aids.It sounds as though you are on the right lines though in what you did today.I would give her a little time to settle in though before asking anymore of her than what you have already done as it will be alot for a youngster to take in.Good luck with her,she sounds lovely.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... was going to give her a few days to settle in before I do anything at all, although will probably just put tack on (need to check my saddle fits her). I am so excited!

_jetset_

Visit site
They're coming... got my friend to take some photos of her. There is one on the internet but I don't feel it does her any justice. I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw her, she is very pretty and nicely put together!

MillionDollar

Visit site
Oh fantastic- i can't wait to see lots of pictures! It must be very exciting. Just take it slow and steady!
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... I am hoping we can get a good bond before we go into too much ridden work! Do you think I will be doing the right thing by lunging every day and then getting on her for just a short walk around? In my mind I think she needs to keep having someone on her back to keep up the idea in her head...

MillionDollar

Visit site
Well with my youngster i lunged him everyday. i think its good for them to get into a routine of working and just being relaxed about it and having the tack on. I then would long rein him past 'scary' objects such as cones, plastic bags, through puddles. Now hes backed and being driven he doesn't even look at scary objects that my 15 yo hates, lol.
grin.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... the owner has done a lot of parelli with her so the ground work is well and truly done. She is fantastic to watch and follows your hand as she should do! I love waching things like this...

_jetset_

Visit site
He he... She doesn't come with any tack, so I am praying my 18" M/W saddle will fit (I have two, one GP one dressage). If not it looks like I will have to sell the GP and buy another, but don't really want to do this. She looks very similar to Hannah so fingers crossed! Everything is pale and dark blue, think it'll look lovely on a chestnut!