Restarting riding

pistolpete

Visit site
I’ll try to summarise. My Highland has been a challenging ride for some time. It all came to a head in July when he had a melt down out hacking and I had to lead him home three miles. He’s not been ridden since. I’ve been trying to do a groundwork restarting program but I’m not a horse trainer so it’s been a bit disjointed. I’ve recently moved him to a field which backs onto a bridleway and no longer have a school. I really want to start riding him again but still feel really nervous about getting back on. Best hints and tips for getting him going under saddle again please.

Auslander

Visit site
Do you know why he was challenging/had a meltdown? If you haven't identified a reason for the behaviour, I think it's going to be very hard to get going again, as you don't have the confidence of knowing that the cause of the issues has been addressed.

be positive

Visit site
Do you know why he was challenging/had a meltdown? If you haven't identified a reason for the behaviour, I think it's going to be very hard to get going again, as you don't have the confidence of knowing that the cause of the issues has been addressed.

This was my first thought, if you have found the reason and know he has moved on then I would want to get the groundwork really well established, be doing a little every day if possible, have him going confidently out and about on long reins before considering getting on if I was nervous, if I was alone I would want to arrange for some help and be prepared to take baby steps/ go back a stage or two until I was confident in him and my own ability to deal with anything he did throw at me.

If I had any real concerns I would be getting a pro involved before getting to the riding stage to ensure everything really was going well and he was ready, with some horses it can be very subtle when they are not comfortable with what is being asked and part of the skill in a trainer is reading those signs and knowing when to move forward or take a step back.

pistolpete

Visit site
I think the main problem is me! I think he would long rein for a pro no problem. I’m just not skilled enough to do it. Find all the ground work quite challenging. He plants sometimes in hand. Never plants under saddle. I think I have quite a bit more unravelling to do.

pistolpete

Visit site
He’s really nervous. Hard to explain he just gets gradually more tense out hacking. The melt down was on the way back from a hack. He just starting piaffe-ing! Had to get off and lead him home.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Why don't you get a professional trainer to start him back into work? And get some lessons too? Simpler all round, and that's what trainers are for.

sport horse

Visit site
I agree with Cortez.. Try to find somewhere where you can keep him for a good length of time where they will get him stared again and you can then have lessons and gradually take over morre of the riding but with the help of a pro on site.

SpringArising

Visit site
I wouldn't describe getting a bit bouncy as a meltdown. But if I were you I'd pay a local trainer to take him hacking a few times to get his confidence up :)

pistolpete

Visit site
I’ve got an instructor lined up to come twice a week for a while. Fingers crossed he will start to relax and enjoy a little hack. That’s all I want to do.