Restoring colour of black saddle?

spider

community.webshots.com
Have been sent some really interesting links by Oz, thank you. Tnavas, I much prefer brown tack but with a limited budget and an awkward to fit pony, ended up with black! Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site

9tails

Visit site
So am I stuffed with a green tinged black saddle? It's soft as butter and regularly conditioned with one of CDM's rival's leather balsam.

cremedemonthe

Visit site
So am I stuffed with a green tinged black saddle? It's soft as butter and regularly conditioned with one of CDM's rival's leather balsam.

:) fraid so, to get it back to true black you'd need to get all the fats out for starters, then get it done professionally (re dyed) and most importantly sealed so leather dye didn't leech out

cremedemonthe

Visit site
Ahh well, I'll live with it. Most is covered by my fat arse anyway.

lol know the feeling, I locked myself out of the house once and proceeded to go through the dogflap. I had been through it several times before but on this occasion I had my fat wallet (not money making it fat, but receipts) in my back pocket and got my arse well and truly wedged in the dogflap, couldn't get out for several minutes!

Auslander

Visit site
CDM - do you have any thoughts on vinegaroon? My grandfather used to make it and use it on the inside of hunting boots - his boots always looked amazing

cremedemonthe

Visit site
CDM - do you have any thoughts on vinegaroon? My grandfather used to make it and use it on the inside of hunting boots - his boots always looked amazing

Old home recipes are sometimes the best, I have never made or used it to be honest, doesn't seem to be harsh or carcinogenic give it a go.
I would have thought it would need conditioning afterwards though as the ingredients may dry the leather out

Auslander

Visit site
Old home recipes are sometimes the best, I have never made or used it to be honest, doesn't seem to be harsh or carcinogenic give it a go.
I would have thought it would need conditioning afterwards though as the ingredients may dry the leather out

My tack is brown, so don't need to use it myself, but thought it might be worth a go for all the green saddles out there!

Recipe here http://graybear.com.au/vinegaroon-black-leather-dye/