resurfacing drive and yard

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
Hi, we have reached the point where we can no longer put off resurfacing drive way and yard. I am seeking advice re good none slippery surfaces for horses to walk on, if you have any recommendations or surfaces to avoid please let me know. Also any recommendations re good contractors would be welcome - Wiltshire area. Thank you.

TBB

Visit site
All our yards are concreted with v strong concrete and grooves put in to make it non slip. I would love to have nice paving and rubber slabs etc but its just not practical on working farm/stud farm with heavy farm machinery and big feed delivery juggernauts and horse lorries twisting and turning on the surface. The concrete lasts forever even if it is a bit more expensive to start with but you have to make sure its the strong stuff.

jjsblackhorse

Visit site
At the moment very old tarmac which is disintegrating, not helped by the fact that when we put our small stable block in we had to cut through it and install French drains. Who ever laid the original drive and parking area got the run wrong and the cottage nearly got flooded a couple of times.
I know what you mean about concrete, we have a 10' concrete apron at the front of the stables which is great. But not sure I want concrete for the drive and parking area at the front of the cottage.
Anyone have experience of the bonded stone finish? I don't know what the grip is like and am worried about laying something that is going to be lethal for shod horses to walk over.

Thanks J

Bede

Visit site
How about tar and chipping - tarmac or concrete then sprayed with tar and a layer of stone chippings on top. It can be done with shingle type stone so it looks like gravel