Retired horses - feeding?

maxapple

Visit site
I have a 20 year old tb who lives out in a 20 acre field with 4 others. They get hay morning & night and there's always a bit left so they're getting enough. There's not loads of grass but enough to graze on.

I also feed him fast fibre, Alfa a oil and hi fibre cubes.

Just wondered if I should think about adding extra supplements for the oldie? He's looking really well - coat is lovely and shiney and he's a healthy weight but is there anything else oldies need that I'm missing?

Auslander

Visit site
I have a 20 year old tb who lives out in a 20 acre field with 4 others. They get hay morning & night and there's always a bit left so they're getting enough. There's not loads of grass but enough to graze on.

I also feed him fast fibre, Alfa a oil and hi fibre cubes.

Just wondered if I should think about adding extra supplements for the oldie? He's looking really well - coat is lovely and shiney and he's a healthy weight but is there anything else oldies need that I'm missing?

If he ain't broke...

I have four - 16. 19. 21 and 23 (all TB/WB types) at my place, and they are all on minimal hard feed, hay and grass. They have linseed for their joints, but other than that, just unmolassed chaff, sugar beet and a handful of veteran mix sprinkled on top to get their heads straight down in the bucket, rather than checking out each others to see if anyone has something more interesting!

gunnergundog

Visit site
As above....if he's doing okay mobility wise and looks okay weight wise, then don't change anything just for the hell of it. 23 year old is out on similar sized field with four (smaller) companions; we are not haying out yet - all he gets on a daily basis is a carrot and approx. four single handfuls of Spillers horse and pony cubes which I can fit into my jacket pocket. He is a warmblood - albeit old fashioned type - unrugged and still needs to lose weight.