retired household calvary horses - who should pay?

akn102

Visit site
It suddenly occured to me to wonder (while reading a well known charity's website) who pays for retired household calvary horses when they retire. I emailed the charity in question and was amazed to receive a reply telling me that they sometimes receive a one off donation to pay for the animal but otherwise the charity pays for the horses upkeep from then on. I personally find this absolutely astounding. I have donated to some of these charities and frankly find it sickening that the royal household don't pay for their own horses. I believed my donation was going to help needy horses who had been neglected, abandoned or abused in some way. I'm totally happy with money going to retired police horses after all they are serving the general public but quite frankly horses that have been at the royal mews for example I don't expect to be paying for. I'm not anti royal but surely the royal household has a big enough hand outs from the public each year and the rest of us don't dump our elderly horses on charities and expect everyone else to pay for them do they. Just wondered what others views were on this?

bailey14

Visit site
Wow that is incredible, I didn't know that either. I suppose the Royals have to be seen doing the right thing by retiring horses but as for not offering to pay for them themselves, its certainly suprised me! I remember when Sefton and his mates were injured in the Hyde Park bombings, nothing was mentioned at the time when the charity was paying for their treatment and upkeep.

canteron

Visit site
Mmm that is a bit of a shocker - I suppose theorectically the horses are the property of the army (ie our glourious government).

It would be intereting to know their policy, ie do they only rehome them if they can be used as riding horses, do they put many to sleep if they can't rehome them, etc.

Does anyone know?

seche

Visit site
I know!!!

I ride out occasionally from Knightsbridge.

Those that arnt re homeable are PTS (In my view - best and safest place for them!) - one on my troop is headed that way as he has bad tendons and loons about when at grass resting at Melton because he is bored.

Those that are rehomable are rehomed- I know one of the civi grooms has a couple of them. Those that are and can are rehomed but often lots are worked happily into their late teens - my favourite (I have two!) is 19, they dont come into service / London until they are 6yrs old. On another line - not all of them are rehomeable - some have vile tempers/kickers/savage biters, and are strong as an ox, and beligerant.. - Not ideal pets - riding horses.

bailey14

Visit site
Oh thats really interesting. Thanks for sharing that with us. Its nice to hear that the ones that can do, and the ones that can't don't. I personally can't think of anything worse than a horse that deserves a decent retirement but has an attitude problem being passed from pillar to post to pillar again and probably abused along the way by owners that don't understand its needs or workload. I expect having an ex army type of horse could be a bit like having a hound straight out of a working hunting pack and expecting it to live in a poky bedsit. Just wouldn't work eh? The horse needs to be kept fairy active if it has had a hard working life and has different needs to an 'every day' type of horse/pet x

the watcher

Visit site
These horses are the property of the Army. If the Army were to continue paying for them in retirement they would be funded by taxes. As it stands, those that cannot be rehomed but retire are funded by charitable donations. It has nothing to do with the Royal family.

seche

Visit site
They are immaculately looked after - (Ive grown up on a NH racing yard and event abit myself so have pretty high anal standards) they are shod - on sight every 4 / 5 weeks, have an onsite vet. their saddles are all Jefferies falcons and the odd older Albion - all have their own fitted bridles and saddles - leather girths and clean saddle clothes everyday - their groomed within an inch of their lives and are well fed - hard feed, haylage with an endless supply of easibed in their stalls. Ventilation fans etc etc etc - not saying my lot would love it there but HHC Blacks manage pretty well.

They all get one or two good lengthy hols on rotation a yr out at grass up in Leicestershire. as well as going to camp etc usually in Norfolk.

Varied work - watering orders (lots out together hacking with soldiers on them early mornings doing road work) hacking early mornings in the park - civis like i get that job! Schooling (they all hate it) queens life guard, musical rides, horse guards parade etc - they all do abit of everything.
Some are grumpy buggers but on the whole the troopers love them and the atmosphere up there is good

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
v true they are imactulately looked after but their parade saddles havent been modernised for decades (perhaps more) and are literally wood with a bit of felt underneath, v heavy therefore all of the ones i saw have white hair undersaddle and no muscle (quite tender too). But the HC know this.

seche

Visit site
This is true about their parade saddles - inorder to protect backs they have massively thick black sheep skins which I suppose help abit, - one or two have risers and the odd prolite pad but they are pretty basic.

I also feel v sorry for the lads on parade - apt they are bloody uncomfortable..

Their care is v good though - one of teh "H" reg horses (meaning he is 6) is off with tail rub.. One of the greys wears bioflow boots and hock magnet boots too - they are watchful and its in their best interests after all if horses are happy they behave!!!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
These are Army horses. When you consider the aftercare for Service personnel who leave for health or other reasons, it is hardly surprising that the horses' welfare is left to charities.
These horses have nothing to do with the Royal Family.