Retirement/convalescence livery - recommendations?

Como

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a retirement/convalescence livery, ideally through personal experience? I am in London and would prefer somewhere within a couple of hours drive. Thanks in advance!

ihatework

Visit site
Fair point but I didn't read that OP wanted a charity .... I read that OP wanted livery.

Henryhorn might be worth PMing, she does retirement livery, but she is down in Devon

Alibear

Visit site
Have a search on the internet there are more and more of these types of livery (so you pay for it JingleJingle) cropping up.

But word of warning do go and visit first as what they are really like can be very different from what they say they are / pictures etc.

HH isn't (I think) taking on any more retirment liveries but she knows another lady down that way who is.

Also I think the Veteran Horse society have started a list of these as well so might be worth contacting them.

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't want it shoot it. Don't rely on a charity to look after your cast offs.
Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't be quite as brutal but have to agree..unless you wish to pay the full price for keeping your horse in retirement for an unknown number of years..and retain ownership and responsibility

BBs

Visit site
Im sure there is a place in buckinghamshire.
My old boss had his horses there and im sure a few retired police horses are sent there.

Just cant remember the name sorry.

equibabe20

Visit site
There is one in buckinghamshire, its called the home of rest, I work there! But there is a waiting list and all potential horses are home visited and we dont take every horse only ones that have minimal health problems etc.. Oh and every horse has to be signed over to us.

ecrozier

Visit site
Think there is a big difference between retirement/convalescance where you are PAYING for LIVERY and trying to pass on an unwanted horse to a charity!?
There is a place near Henley that is a livery yard who do grass type livery for retired/conavalescing horses, no personal experience just seen ads!
ETS I personally will have to do this eventually with my older horse, as she is arthritic so won't be rideable for ever however as long as she is happy to potter around in a field she will be allowed to do so! She gave mw too much for me to turn around and shoot her when she's no loger 'useful'! I appreciate that for people whose horses are a business, that may be the only viable option, but mine are pets really.