Retirement livery or keep at yard or field

Laurac13

Visit site
Hi all please can I ask for your suggestions ?
I’ve retired my boy Merlin aged 10 due to neurological problems he’s been on a high dose of steroids but is still sweating on one side of his neck but he’s back to being bright.
Merlin is currently kept at a small private yard just 5 mins from home I also keep my elderly Shetland there but he has been unable to actually be in with Merlin for years due to Cushings so is in his own small area.
Following last vet visit vet said Merlin shouldn’t be stabled as if he as a ‘turn’ he could hurt himself, he also said be very careful leading him and keep my distance
Currently merlin is living out with my yard owners recently retried horse they are in a one acre paddock we have clay soil and it’s already super muddy - merlin is prone to mud fever so not ideal. They have a field shelter and hay. Pro’s close to home I can see him twice a day to check on him.
Second option is we move the 2 boys to a friends field a few miles away it’s not too far but there is no water or electricity good natural shelter but there are some pretty deep big cracks in the ground it’s clay again it hasn’t been grazed for years hardly any green grass just dead long yellow grass fallen over and I would worry about mold etc in addition to the dodgy ground.
Option 3 I find a really good retirement livery yard , Merlin loves company he is so passive so would need to in with similar equines I would worry about him though as I would want him checked more than once a day. If this is an option any ideas on cost and somewhere not too far from colchester in Essex so I could visit often.
The other thing I forgot to mention is that he is not a good Loader or traveller which makes it harder.
Thanks so much all x

eahotson

Visit site
The retirement home my horse is in has lots of grass liveries,young stock,in foal mares etc.They are all in suitable groups.Mine is in a group of other old boys.

ihatework

Visit site
Tricky.
I am all for retiring horses where physically possible, I’m definitely not in the PTS with little consideration camp. But ….

The horse has to be safe. The human has to be safe. The horse has to have quality of life.

If a vet is advising you not to stable and to take extra care when leading I can only surmise that this horse has very significant neurological issues.

Small clay paddocks are unsuitable for any horse retiring to 24/7, but even more so a neurological horse.

Therefore the only situation I’d retire this horse to would be big acreage, herd, well draining, with a yard owner who is explicitly clear of what they are taking on and the associated risks.

Otherwise, in the circumstances you describe I would heartbreakingly let the horse go.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think I would be very careful about letting someone else handle him if the vet has said he might be dangerous to lead (through no fault of his own).

The insurance considerations as well as the emotional ones should be thought through - if there is such a high chance he could hurt someone that your vet warned you about it.

Perhaps best to speak to your vet about the options and which would suit him best as they understand the nuance of the 'turns' and what will work best for him.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was quite hard to find retirement livery if he can't really be lead at all.

pistolpete

Visit site
I have a retired pony in a cheap field near my home. It is actually perfect for our needs. I’m surprised about the not stabling rule though. I’d get a second opinion on that. Good luck.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
The set up he is currently in doesn't sound ideal as a long term retirement option as an acre on clay all year round for 2 horses is just not enough room.

Second option is not ideal as you can't really top it now and getting water to a field is no fun in winter, it sounds like the Shetland will need his grass intake restricted and that will make it difficult if they are out together.

Third option is probably the best one but as the others have said you might struggle to find somewhere because of the responsibility and the risk of handling a horse that could potentially be dangerous, but it is definitely worth a try and have a ring round.

Nasicus

Visit site
Normally I'm all for retirement livery out on big acreage with a nice herd. But in his case, I'd be concerned about not being there for when he needs handling, for example having his feet done, teeth done, worming, vaccs etc.
If you can get him somewhere where it's feasible for you to be able to be there to do the handling for such situations, I'd probably got for it though, making sure everyone involved is very clear on what they're dealing with.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm really sorry, but I would not keep alive a horse that's a danger to any human who gets near him, who could seriously damage himself if left in a stable and who you could, I assume, expect any day to find down in the field and unable to get up (for how many hours until you find him?)

It's a desperately sad situation for you, but for me his time has come.

Laurac13

Visit site
Hi all thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions x
It’s so hard to know what to do for the best and Merlin is such a gentle chap. A bit more info on his neurological issues if it helps at all.
June 2020 from nowhere started Getting ataxic all of a sudden which became horrendous within days he was also twitching mainly on his neck he had regular vet visits and put on high steroids bloods showed extreme inflammation. Vets advised issue was high in his neck or his brain, they told me to spoil him he didn’t have long but he actually started to improve and over 8 weeks made a full recovery and severe inflammation tests reverted to normal. He went back to ridden work for over a year no issues whatsoever.
then a few weeks ago after eating his tea he started backing up head down tilted to one side and chewing neck sweating but one side only I thought he had eaten a wasp, vets called. At this time he was a bit unsteady on his legs for a few minutes.
senior vet out advised it was neurological and connected to what happened last year Merlin put on steroids again a few days later he was very unhappy he wouldn’t lift his head I called the vets in tears they said up steroids to 200 a day. Merlin has now finished steroids bright as a button no unsteadiness but still has left side of neck sweating as his brain is telling him to do it. All through these episodes he hasn’t fallen (as far as I am aware) and has been able to move around etc. Although we did notice he occasionally has spacial awareness issues as in if you get close or his field companion gets close he backs away. I am still popping a rug on him at night and don’t feel worried that he will suddenly fall on me but I am constantly checking he is normal before I start. I think if he goes down hill or has another bad episode I’ll call it a day but he could possibly not have another episode for a year or so and therefore considering a retirement livery for him, I just don’t know what to do wish I had a crystal ball re his health ?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
its a difficult one, but if i couldnt look after him myself i wouldnt send him away anywhere. i would keep him where he is and suffer the mud fever. people on here have used pig oil ,(i think) to protect the skin before mud fever can get a hold. i would also seriously consider PTS if he doesnt have a good quality of life

Melody Grey

Visit site
Sorry OP, I really feel for you but I’d PTS in these circumstances. I wouldn’t want the liability others/ professionals needing to attend the horse or if he needed to be stabled/ travelled in an emergency.

10 is heartbreakingly young, but you may be paying out for a lot of years to come if you retire him. I couldn’t do that as it would prevent me from having a ridden horse.
Sorry the situation sucks :-/

eahotson

Visit site
Hi all thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions x
It’s so hard to know what to do for the best and Merlin is such a gentle chap. A bit more info on his neurological issues if it helps at all.
June 2020 from nowhere started Getting ataxic all of a sudden which became horrendous within days he was also twitching mainly on his neck he had regular vet visits and put on high steroids bloods showed extreme inflammation. Vets advised issue was high in his neck or his brain, they told me to spoil him he didn’t have long but he actually started to improve and over 8 weeks made a full recovery and severe inflammation tests reverted to normal. He went back to ridden work for over a year no issues whatsoever.
then a few weeks ago after eating his tea he started backing up head down tilted to one side and chewing neck sweating but one side only I thought he had eaten a wasp, vets called. At this time he was a bit unsteady on his legs for a few minutes.
senior vet out advised it was neurological and connected to what happened last year Merlin put on steroids again a few days later he was very unhappy he wouldn’t lift his head I called the vets in tears they said up steroids to 200 a day. Merlin has now finished steroids bright as a button no unsteadiness but still has left side of neck sweating as his brain is telling him to do it. All through these episodes he hasn’t fallen (as far as I am aware) and has been able to move around etc. Although we did notice he occasionally has spacial awareness issues as in if you get close or his field companion gets close he backs away. I am still popping a rug on him at night and don’t feel worried that he will suddenly fall on me but I am constantly checking he is normal before I start. I think if he goes down hill or has another bad episode I’ll call it a day but he could possibly not have another episode for a year or so and therefore considering a retirement livery for him, I just don’t know what to do wish I had a crystal ball re his health ?
It is a horrible situation to be in.I wish you and your horse all the best whatever your decision.

exracehorse

Visit site
Speak to sara fouche. She’s at Assington. So not far from
Colchester. She does grass livery
Huge fields. They all live out. You can visit. But can’t take horse in / out of field all the time. I’ve got a retired boy I look after. I’m
Sudbury. They all live out as much as possible but I bring in in bad weather. But fields are literally next to the stables. If you’d posted a few weeks ago then I’d have recommended a good friend who was looking for a ‘retirement’ livery. Stay out with field shelters. She’s got a livery I think .. but I can ask. She’s got too much grass ! She’s Gt Cornard. So half an hour from you. EDIT.. just seen your also considering PTS .. so sorry. I’m literally down the road. If you need any help. Advice. Shoulder to cry on. PM me x

paddy555

Visit site
if he is a poor traveller with neuro problems I wouldn't do that as it could be risky. If he went down in a partition in the middle of traffic he could smash up a trailer or lorry and himself and it would be difficult for a vet to get in to PTS.

I think if you keep him it has to be where you personally look after him. It would be difficult for a YO to know what to do if he got worse. You can recognise his problem and know if it is serious or nothing in the event of a change. Someone who hasn't been there all the way through won't. Also you can read him and keep yourself safe. Staff at a retirement livery may not be able to. Could be a trainee rugging him who has no idea of neuro issues. Also at a retirement livery you have no idea how he will relate to other horses and if they will run him around. He may stay safely on his feet in his current situation but you never know how strange horses will react to each other.

If he was mine I may give him more time but that would be because I could totally control his living conditions, was able to check him several times through the day and I could get a vet to emergency PTS within an hour. If that wasn't available it may be more questionable.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Putting aside the issues re leading him (is he dangerous?) mine has been retired for a couple of years and I pay to keep him at a yard because it’s pretty much my social life. If I didn’t have him, I’d go ot work and back and not much else.

Laurac13

Visit site
Hi everyone
I really appreciate all your thoughts, advice and suggestions.
I’ve made the decision not to move him as the moment as although the clay small paddock isn’t ideal he does have company and being 5 minutes away I can visit him multiple times a day if I am concerned,he also has my YO, other livery and some residents who overlook his paddock keeping an eye. At the moment he looks 100% normal you would never know about neurological issues. This morning YO and I moved Merlin and her horse into the adjoining paddock which has grass Merlin had a proper gallop about and is absolutely foot steady.
I am usually in the pts a day too soon camp myself but it’s so hard when it’s your own horse.
I’ve decided no more steroids again if and when he has any issues/turns I’ll call it a day, so just take each day as it comes
I’d also want to be with him at the end myself to hold his hoof x

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
Hi everyone
I really appreciate all your thoughts, advice and suggestions.
I’ve made the decision not to move him as the moment as although the clay small paddock isn’t ideal he does have company and being 5 minutes away I can visit him multiple times a day if I am concerned,he also has my YO, other livery and some residents who overlook his paddock keeping an eye. At the moment he looks 100% normal you would never know about neurological issues. This morning YO and I moved Merlin and her horse into the adjoining paddock which has grass Merlin had a proper gallop about and is absolutely foot steady.
I am usually in the pts a day too soon camp myself but it’s so hard when it’s your own horse.
I’ve decided no more steroids again if and when he has any issues/turns I’ll call it a day, so just take each day as it comes
I’d also want to be with him at the end myself to hold his hoof x

that seems to be the best plan in a difficult situation. I hope it works out OK and you both get more a lot more time together.