Retirement

Rockman

Visit site
I have had my ex racehorse for 3 years now. He raced for 10 years and is now 14. Since I got him we seem to have had endless problems and he has had all I can give.

He had new tack made to measure at £2000
He has had endless physio/chiro sessions
He has had over £4000 of vets treatment to try and fix him and none of it has worked.

He is still uncomfortable, he still hates people contact (he will tolerate you but would rather you weren't there) and when he is ridden will have random bucking episodes both in the school and out hacking.

I therefore couldn't ever loan him out or trust him with anyone else! I love this horse to bits and I'm in tears even writing this!

I have made the decision that now is the time to try and retire him, he doesn't deserve being put through anything more from the vet and it isn't fair on either of us to keep fighting to try and get a ride.

I have had everything thrown at me from other people who have no idea one even telling me that I'm only giving up on him to get a better model. It literally broke my heart, I honestly feel that I have given him everything I can and every chance I can and he's just not happy! Am I really doing the wrong thing?

I don't really know the point of this post I guess I just needed to vent! Please don't criticise me as I honestly can't take any more. However if anyone does know of any good retirement homes then I am well and truly open to suggestions.

He is a lovely boy and he deserves time to be a horse now. He has taught me so much and I owe him so much the thought of not coming to him every morning brings me to tears! I'm am not rushing to move him on and will spend all the time it takes to find somewhere perfect for him!

Wine gums if you even bothered to get this far!!

Jo1987

Visit site
Retiring him is NOT 'giving up' on him. It sounds like the right thing to do at this point, I've been through this, I'm sorry you're having to go through it as well.
My lad is happily retired in a big herd out 24/7 and is much more chilled out than he was when in work.

Rockman

Visit site
Thankyou all, it's just been hard with everyone seeming to think I will 'kill' him if I retire a thoroughbred because they can't live out! I can't believe people actually think that of them, he will be fine rugged up as I know a lot who weather out without a rug at all!

I know it's the right thing to do in my head it's just the thought of it!

Just need to find him somewhere nice now that without sounding awful doesn't cost an arm and a leg as I would like to be able to get something else that I can ride. Obviously not at his expense and I will make sure where he goes is perfect and if it means I can't have another then so be it but it would be nice.

Lovely to hear of a happy story as well!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Your doing the right thing! your horse is clearly telling you that he is not happy to carry on working! he raced for 10 years, that a long long time, he's probably absolutely shattered and he deserves time to just be a horse!

Are you going to send him to a retirement home or just find somewhere that he can be out 24/7?

Rockman

Visit site
Your doing the right thing! your horse is clearly telling you that he is not happy to carry on working! he raced for 10 years, that a long long time, he's probably absolutely shattered and he deserves time to just be a horse!

Are you going to send him to a retirement home or just find somewhere that he can be out 24/7?

Thankyou so much, it means alot to hear from people that understand!
I would prefer somewhere he can just be out 24/7 but it's finding somewhere close enough as if I did this I would still need to check him twice a day. So I am open to options at the minute and just looking for people with experience of this and recommendations.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Have a chat with some local farmers. I privately rent my place. It used to be a bit yard but the farmer dief and the new farmer decided it needed ao much work (fencing etc) it was more hassle than it was worth having liveries there
He used to deliver my hay at my previous yard. And I asked whether he'd let me move back. He thought about it for a while then agreed.

I don't hassle him, I sort out any repairs and means I can leave mine out 24/7

I have another horse on a posher yard, with facilities but he's lame and if he doesn't come right, he will move back and be turned away for a year or two

So might be worth looking for something similar for your boy

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Whereabouts are you Rockman? Perhaps people could give you some recommendations if they knew what area you were in.

Agree!
I've not long retired my horse and am kind of after the same thing. I have been offered a field locally for him but my ideal situation would be to find someone like you to share it.

Visit site
TB's certainly can live out. I took Kyle home from racing when he retired at 7yo due to injury. I rehabbed him, rode him a wee bit but he was never a fan of being ridden even as a racehorse! Plus he was technically lame so I didn't push the issue. I never really intended to have him as a riding horse I just couldn't let him go anywhere else after racing as he was a quirky ****** who had serious men issues! He wintered in the first 2 years with daily turnout and from years 3-7 he lived out 24/7. It was better for his hock. His first winter he didn't do too great. He was well rugged, had shelter, hay and feed but he didn't adapt that well. The 2nd winter onwards he got himself sorted and loved life living out. He came out of winters looking well. On Thursday it will be a year to the day that my wee Smiley Kylie was put down. It was nothing to do with his previous injury, it was a freak accident that no amount of money would have fixed.

You are doing the right thing by him. Too many people don't listen to their horses and that's where they run into many, many more problems.

A couple of good rugs, ad-lib forage and shelter is all they need.

maxapple

Visit site
My 22 year old TB lives out year round at a wonderful retirement livery in Kent. He wears a lightweight rug in the winter when they come into big hay barns, but apart from that he is thriving.

He looks younger, brighter and happier than he ever did when I had him in work and has never got bored.

Copperpot

Visit site
My horse retired at 10. He too had thousands spent on him but was always uncomfortable. Going down hill caused issues and he had random bucking fits. He's retired with me and lives out 24/7. He's 7/8 TB and has never been happier. He has lots of rugs but tbh he doesn't need them. I still love him as much as ever, probably more now I don't have to ride him lol as he's a lovely boy just to be around. I adopted a friend for him from WHW who also can't be ridden, so they are lawn mowers together. A very important job as my other horse can't have too much grass. I can't be on a livery yard as they don't often cater for horses living out, so I now rent a field and got a shelter for them all.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
If I was in your situation I would probably retire him from riding & keep him as a pet, & get another horse for riding. I'm sure he would be happy a Larry in the field & you'd feel much happier too. My horse is 19- she squeals when we meet our hacking buddy to go out for a hack & her ears prick up when she sees a jump ahead of her. If she ever stopped I'd definitely listen to her. No fun if they aren't happy :)

Rockman

Visit site
Whereabouts are you Rockman? Perhaps people could give you some recommendations if they knew what area you were in.

Agree!
I've not long retired my horse and am kind of after the same thing. I have been offered a field locally for him but my ideal situation would be to find someone like you to share it.

I am I'm the Cheshire area near Manchester, I would love to find a field to share with someone close.

Thankyou everyone you have all as usual made me feel so much better about everything. I now not only know I'm making the right decision but it feels right to! I'm actually starting to look forward to finding somewhere that makes him happy!

Clodagh

Visit site
I hope you and poiuytrewq can work something out, I know one of you wouldn't be able to see your horse so often but maybe something could be worked out. I love a happy ending!

fatpiggy

Visit site
I am I'm the Cheshire area near Manchester, I would love to find a field to share with someone close.

Thankyou everyone you have all as usual made me feel so much better about everything. I now not only know I'm making the right decision but it feels right to! I'm actually starting to look forward to finding somewhere that makes him happy!

The only problem I can see is your area! Winter grazing is quite hard to find and living out full time through the winter may not be possible because most of the yards have too many horses and not enough land. The ground can be very wet and muddy as it is largely below sea-level so most yards have limited winter turnout, or turnout in horrible conditions. Given that TBs are a bit sensitive you would have to work a bit harder than most to protect against skin conditions. But they certainly can live out perfectly happily.

Rockman

Visit site
The only problem I can see is your area! Winter grazing is quite hard to find and living out full time through the winter may not be possible because most of the yards have too many horses and not enough land. The ground can be very wet and muddy as it is largely below sea-level so most yards have limited winter turnout, or turnout in horrible conditions. Given that TBs are a bit sensitive you would have to work a bit harder than most to protect against skin conditions. But they certainly can live out perfectly happily.

You are exactly right, this is the problem I am having! I would be happy sacrificing seeing him as often as I would like in order to move him to a better area but then it's making sure he is properly looked after!

madlady

Visit site
There are a couple of retirement places in Cheshire that pop up if you google retirement livery but I couldn't say if they were any good or not.

I think you are doing absolutely the right thing and I hope you find somewhere suitable for him.

HashRouge

Visit site
My little Arab was retired a few years ago at 20 as all of a sudden she seemed to develop numerous problems - arthritis, cushings, sacroiliac pain etc and as she was really on the small side for me (I've owned her since I was a teeny 11 year old) I decided it was time to give her a rest. I'd had 12 good years of riding her, she didn't owe me anything! The problem with her was that she couldn't have steroid injections for her arthritis/ sacroiliac as her cushings makes her a big laminitis risk, and she couldn't complete the recommended rehab for her sacroiliac problem because she won't stay sound enough due to her arthritis. For the last few years she has been turned out and done very little, but that seems to suit her. She is full of beans and looks and seems to feel very well. The physio, who initially saw her for her sacroiliac pain, came to see her today for the first time in over a year and was really pleased with how she's doing. She has no obvious muscle pain and is sounder than she's been in quite a while. If she was bigger, I'd be tempted to start light hacking with her! Sometimes Doctor Green and a nice rest does more good than all the expensive vet treatments in the world :)