Retiring in 3 weeks yay!!! Horsy goal ideas please :)

Tobiano

Visit site
I posted months ago on club house that i was wondering whether to retire from full time work and had so much encouragement that I have gone ahead and it all happens on 30 June. woo hoo! I will still be working some of the time, adding up to 1 to 2 days a week.

So bearing in mind that I am 52, not a great rider, on the tubby side, have an absolutely wonderful 15.2hh cob, I love jumping but my limit at the moment is about 1 foot 6 max…

What would you guys suggest as some good horsy goals to work towards now that I will be able to spend more time with my horse and riding? :)

Quite happy to have suggestions as well about things to do off / away from the horse that will improve how I ride when on him!

I have a lot of catching up to do as never had a horse until i was 43 and didn't ride for 25 years. :)

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Oh gosh, so much choice! Horsey hacking holidays with friends, horsey camps, you could do jumping camps I should think? Pilates on horseback... Pilates off horseback! Just more riding, which equals better fitness and energy for you both. Enjoy your retirement!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Well I have recently decided to do this:

Increase stamina so I can get round a XC without needing oxygen.

Improve flat work and do dressage (not something I've ever wanted to do!)

Have lessons on a schoolmaster so I know what I am trying to achieve with my cob.

So I would say choose something you really enjoy and just aim to get better at it as a start. I feel so motivated now!

mandyroberts

Visit site
I retired 1/5/15 so early days. My riding is improving through fitness and focus, your goals need to be what you want. mine are dressage and I have have a talented horse with attitude - its very exciting! have fun x

Tobiano

Visit site
thank you guys!

FfionWinnie, how have you gone about increasing stamina? and mandyroberts how have you improved your fitness?

STR I like the pilates idea too, have been doing some recently for physiotherapy, and although it looks innocuous it is jolly hard work so must be good for you!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I started by cantering one lap on each rein and added a lap per rein per day. We are now cantering 3kms in 9 mins without a break as part of our hacking which also do other cantering on as well. Basically do it til you are dying then do it a bit more and repeat :D

mandyroberts

Visit site
Fitness - not working ie at desk/car/train will improve fitness anyway.
I restarted Pilates and practice for 45 mins usually every day - I always do 15 mins at least on a riding day. I have a private lesson every 2 or 3 weeks.
Riding 6 or 7 days a week instead of 2 or 3 and riding harder for longer.
I have an old 'exercer-ski' machine and now try to do 15 mins per day but am probably only doing 3 or 4 per week as this is boring. I have dodgy knees so I can't do ordinary running.
Borrow my friends dog now and then - I feel a bit silly walking without a dog though plenty do!

I'm not actually dieting but as there is no sweet/crisp machine like there was at most offices I went to, and I don't have in the house, I am eating more healthily and have lost weight - could do with losing a bit more but think I will have to actually eat less to do that!

I think if you are an outdoor person the things you like doing and now have time for will get you fitter without too much effort, I have loads more stamina riding, particularly schooling and can trot/canter for ages! I usually stop before I am dying as my horse is a bit cheeky and like to end an exercise will I am still firmly in charge:)

kinnygirl1

Visit site
How about joining a riding club? I always see thing advertised at my local RC that I can't get to cos it clashes with work. Would be a great way to meet other horsey folk too.

soulfull

Visit site
A bit different as at 48 I semi retired due to ill health so find it difficult if not impossible to do a lot of activities.
But I keep my mare at a local equestrian centre and they hold quite a few clinics and I try to take part in whatever interests me. Good fun and I meet new people too.

Local riding club is a great idea

I am trying to build stamina too. I have to do it through riding as can't do any other exercise

Most importantly just have fun

Myloubylou

Visit site
Just found an online Pilates video service so working my way through the levels. Better than DVD as there are hundreds of different sessions so don't get driven bonkers with same little quips

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
If I were you I'd just ride, ride and ride some more. Lots of lessons, hacking, xc schooling, whatever you can do. The rest will come from that. Enjoy.
Sigh, only 23 years to go for me, although by the time I get there they'll probably have added another 10 onto retirement age.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you have transport some riding clubs/riding centrers do a 'Housewives Morning' when women who are either retired, at home etc bring their horses to the centre & have group lessons for Dressage, show jumping, cross country etc or basically just having fun in groups on their horse. This is a good way of getting schooling done & getting fit because you will have others there urging you on & you'll all be in the same boat. :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Congratulations!

I retired last year, and TBH I thought it would be great, but the reality of having no deadlines was so alien to me it took a bit of getting used to.

We did some Trec, as well as BD and BE that we already did. Then I took his shoes off and have done very little since! I think I just felt like I needed to draw breath.

This year I am more organised, I have got a part time job, which was already a fairly low stress job, but as I don't strictly need to do it is even less stress than that!

Best advice I got was to keep a diary with appointments. I joined a Pilates class, a Yoga class, and also started learning to dance Tango with OH. That made the diary fuller, and then swimming 2 X a week with my mother, and suddenly I was busy again, but in a nice way.