Retiring Sarnita - a tribute

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
You may remember I posted about Sarnita winning the Open Area HT qualifier a month back but saying she didn't feel her normal self? Bloods came back clear and although sound she is just not tracking up. Possibly having her SI joint and hocks injected again would help but that was only done 5 months ago so if that is the problem it is not helping for long. To me she has just lost the sparkle and she owes me nothing. I know how stiff I get so Idon't want to make a horse that will try everything foryou keep going longer than she either wants or needs to. She is only 14 :(

So it is with great sadness that I am retiring my horse of a lifetime from ridden work. I bought her as a 5 year old with an unrealistic ambition of Intermediate. She took me way beyond that being regularly placed at Intermediate and 2* level as well completing 2 advanced classes gaining 90 points. She also amassed £1,160 SJ winnings with me. A horse that never loved the dressage (like her owner) but was a total superstar for me. She has in her last 4 competitive outings won 4 classes, 3 BS at 1.10 / 1.15 and the RC area open horse trials qualifier. Always at her best when lots of people admiring her and at the big events. She put up with and taught an incompetent amateur!!

In the past I was offered 60k plus for her and have recently been asked if I regret not taking it - NO! We have had so much fun together she cost me 4k and has given me a chance to compete with the best. I guess if the money had become really life changing we would have had to think again but luckily it did not and only one person was ever brave enough to name a figure!

Sarnie is already looking fat in the field and is enjoying chilling. Whilst I will never say never about riding her again we have a new career in mind. Next year we will look for a husband and see if a baby Sarnie can be anything like as good!! Not sure on husbands yet but erring towards a hardy TB which will give her a bit of the speed and stride she lacks. Any thoughts welcome??

In the meantime some of my favorite pictures.

Her first event Bath and West BE90
[Content removed]

Weston 1* 7th
[Content removed]

Weston 1*
[Content removed]

Royal Cornwall Grade C (8th)
[Content removed]

Ede CCI** (18th)
Ede2007001-1.jpg

South of England Intermediate
[Content removed]

Barbury CIC**
DSC_0300.jpg

Gatcombe Advanced
DSC_0090.jpg

A favorite
DSC_01221.jpg

I am very lucky I have Pip who is filling Sarnie's shoes better than I could have imagined! However now to find a young talented horse to bring on without a budget may be difficult!

Sadly Sarnie's exploits won't be allowed in competition board anymore but if you are a Sarnie fan do keep up to date via my website and Facebook pages.

Last edited by a moderator:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Lovely pics and tribute to her, hope you both enjoy the husband search next year!

You never know a year or two off to chill and have a baby and she might feel refreshed and young again to show up the youngsters and let them know how its done :)

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Lovely pics and tribute to her, hope you both enjoy the husband search next year!

You never know a year or two off to chill and have a baby and she might feel refreshed and young again to show up the youngsters and let them know how its done :)

Yes that would be nice

JGC

Visit site
What a brave decision, she's as lucky to have you as you are to have her. What lovely memories and what a great story ... Next chapter, baby Sarnie - love it!

humblepie

Visit site
What a lovely tribute and amazing achievements. Didn't realise she had won much show jumping as well and wow to the Weston photo. Like you I have had to accept my personal superstar's competing days are over and it is hard. Good luck with mummy project and Pip is doing a good job at stepping into some very big shoes.

kit279

Visit site
Sorry to hear that she is retiring but you must be very excited at the prospect of Sarnie babies! Have a look at this NH stallion - one I've been drooling over for a bit, not a huge stud fee relative to other racing stallions but a lovely type and the stock I've seen is very smart, plus not too far from you.

http://www.vauterhillstud.co.uk/arvico.html

Wheels

Visit site
Great story, beautiful and talented horse with a caring owner who puts her horse first.

What's her breeding? I'm sure she'll give you a fantastic foal

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Great story, beautiful and talented horse with a caring owner who puts her horse first.

What's her breeding? I'm sure she'll give you a fantastic foal

She is by Kingston who has Marco Polo and G.Ramiro dam is by Emilion. Her dam is an elite mare in Holland as 5 of her offspring have made national / international level mainly show jumping

Nic

Visit site
Sad to read this but a fitting tribute for a wonderful partnership. Wishing you much fun with Pip & looking forward to Sarnie babies!

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
A really tough decision for you SJ, but I am sure you have done the right thing. This is a lovely tribute to her, and your partnership togther. Can't wait for baby news!

BeckyD

Visit site
So sad for you - I have always loved reading your Sarnie reports over the years, but you have made a very kind and fair decision. And as you say, never say never! Hope you both enjoy mini-Sarnie time and perhaps she will get a renewed enthusiasm for things out of it.

Supanova

Visit site
Lovely tribute - she looks so happy in the photos! She may be an amazing horse but you are also an amazing owner who always puts the horse first! Sarnita babies sound very exciting!

Javabb94

Visit site
Such a shame - she is such a fantastic horse, definitely a horse of a lifetime!

Hopefully you will find her a suitable husband and potential sarnita foal will be just as talented :biggrin3:

lex2501

Visit site
Such a brave decision, but one that is a true reflection of your partnership as shows just how well you know her and want to do the best for her. I for one cannot wait to hear all about the search for Sarnie's new hubby :)

Tempi

Visit site
What a super tribute. She is an amazing horse.

When I decided to breed from Bloss I never thought I would compete her again yet aged 18 she came back into work, qualified for the Regionals, Nationals, Petplans and was beating horses half her age. It was only her check ligament injury (done in the field) that has now stopped her doing anymore work. I am midly hopeful that with a gentle winter of hacking and building up strength/fitness she might come back again - only she will tell me that. She's qualified for the winter regionals at elementary open music so you never know!!

Never say never!!

lindsayH

Visit site
What an amazing horse, ones like that really do only come along once in a lifetime. I'm so glad you're doing right by her. The prospect of baby Sarnie's is a thrilling one, how exciting!

dilmil123

Visit site
Very brave decision to make, you obviously know your horse extremely well. Good luck for successful Sarnie babies in the future. I think Sarnie should have an honorary slot in this part of the forum. She is one of my favourite HHO horses. Wishing all the best to you and her and hope Pip continues to progress as well as she has already x

Heidi1

Visit site
What a fitting tribute to a lovely horse.... she certainly is a horse of a life time and I am sure she will produce a lovely foal to carry on... Good luck with Pip.xx

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Very brave decision to make, you obviously know your horse extremely well. Good luck for successful Sarnie babies in the future. I think Sarnie should have an honorary slot in this part of the forum. She is one of my favourite HHO horses. Wishing all the best to you and her and hope Pip continues to progress as well as she has already x

She would love honorary status and I am sure she will pop up in Pip's posts occasionally!