Retracted Soles - Any Experiences?

Scarlett

Visit site
Horse is a big TB, barefoot 6 years, has had other issues - gut problems, tying up, calcium deficiency - which have all been dealt with.

Feet are good to look at and he has been mostly rock crunching the last few years even with his issues.

Over winter he has had a build up of false sole and that sole has gone to reveal retracted soles, particularly on one foot. He's been not right on and off through winter. I suspected abscessing but nothing came out. He's now cautious over stones and un-level in front in the arena.

I've read what little I can find online about it and it seems the wet, muddy weather causes it.

I'm measuring his feet for boots and plan to boot and pad initially. Speaking to two trimmers tonight so will seek their advice.

Has anyone any experience of retracted soles? How did you deal with it and what was the outcome?

Having been tearing my hair out for months over this and had vets etc involved to try and pinpoint what was wrong with him I'm relieved we have a possible cause, but I'd like to get started with getting him through it!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My farrier calls it washed out soles. My old boy suffers in the wet weather, his soles get thin and soft. The weather we have had over the last 12 months has been a factor in foot health. It was so hot and dry for months the feet got very dried out and resulted in false soles. We have had a dry winter until the last few weeks and it became wet.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes it happens to Fatty , I think boots and pads are the answer until things sort out .
I would also consider trying the forage plus winter performance balancer to boost growth and get them improving as quickly as possible .

oldie48

Visit site
Rose's companion arrived with this. She's unshod and retired but when she came she was quite footy on the stoned paths to the paddocks. Farrier has left her toes a little longer than he would like normally and she is showing signs of being more comfortable. I'm hoping that she just continues to improve with better feeding and drier conditions. She's an ex polo pony so I suspect her breeding may have predisposed her to thin soles.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My outside horses feet are looking a little worse for wear atm .
I noticed Tatts looked a little unlevel about twenty minutes ago I will catch him in a little while I suspect it will be an abscess brewing.

Scarlett

Visit site
Thanks everyone - nice to know it's not just mine!

Have ordered boots and pads and I'm awaiting forage mineral analysis results to make sure all bases are covered. I'll start limiting his grass intake too.

Scarlett

Visit site
My farrier calls it washed out soles. My old boy suffers in the wet weather, his soles get thin and soft. The weather we have had over the last 12 months has been a factor in foot health. It was so hot and dry for months the feet got very dried out and resulted in false soles. We have had a dry winter until the last few weeks and it became wet.

That's a really interesting point. He has had a lot of false sole since last summer, and now its all come off we seem to be left with the retracted soles, something I've never seen in him before. I wonder if the weather has pushed him over the edge?

Hopefully boots will help us get him sorted out!

SO1

Visit site
Farrier came to see Bert on Wednesday and told YO Bert's hooves were washed out and would be better in summer and we have no idea what he meant by that. So it maybe retracted soles. Vet coming this morning so I will ask him if it it could be that. Bert is barefoot and it has been a wet winter.