Retraining a sulkie racer

paddi22

Visit site
Currently have a sulkie racer rescue and she's starting her ridden career now. Was wondering if anyone had any bitting/training/exercise tips that they found worked well for similar horses who would have been sulkies etc.

She is backed a week now and happily potters around an arena, turns and halts etc., just very baby stuff. On the lunge she throws her hind legs out behind her in trot naturally, so can feel her trying to figure out a new way of trotting with a rider on board, so doing very little. Aim is to hack her to build up strength for the foreseeable future, but would be really interested to get anys experience of them. She doesn't pace.

Has anyone here retrained sulkys before? any tips or advice appreciated

itroteverywhere

Visit site
What do you mean by sulky? Is she sour and lacking enthusiasm? If that's what you mean, I'd be inclined to get her hacking asap (with a friend for confidence if necessary) or if she's not safe enough yet, take her out long reining.

Tnavas

Visit site
Great that she doesn't pace! Makes your job easier - just treat her like any other horse being schooled to ride. Lots of transitions between and within paces and circles, loops & serpentines. Canter transitions may be a problem as generally they don't allow them to canter. Lay a pole across the track in the corners, ask as you are about to go over it.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I think that video is possibly the most disturbing thing I've seen! What the hell is going on?! Where did the police go?? They were driving on the wrong side of the road towards artics both in the car and with the horses. What on earth??

paddi22

Visit site
If anyone is tempted to get a little project to work on i would highly recommend a sulkie racer from a charity. I've retrained racers etc, but this mare is actually the nicest rescue i ever got in. The sulkie horses from what i can see, are absolutely bombproof, tough as nails, very affectionate, hardy and extremely willing to please. I have completely fallen in love! After struggling with exracers who were constantly injured, had to be pumped with feed etc it is amazing to have a hardy little thing that is happily barefoot, rugfree and lives on air! She feels lovely, she looks like her paces will be nice and she feels like a nice mix of cob with a bit of blood.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
If anyone is tempted to get a little project to work on i would highly recommend a sulkie racer from a charity. I've retrained racers etc, but this mare is actually the nicest rescue i ever got in. The sulkie horses from what i can see, are absolutely bombproof, tough as nails, very affectionate, hardy and extremely willing to please. I have completely fallen in love! After struggling with exracers who were constantly injured, had to be pumped with feed etc it is amazing to have a hardy little thing that is happily barefoot, rugfree and lives on air! She feels lovely, she looks like her paces will be nice and she feels like a nice mix of cob with a bit of blood.

Obligatory photo required paddi! :)

paddi22

Visit site
As regards starting to retrain, she had a huge tension associated with tack and the concept of 'work' as i'd imagine it was very high stress and adrenaline for her. So it took weeks to get her to a stage where she wasn't bothered at all with tack. The are funny horses from what i can see, highly clever and reactive but too polite to do anything. The only signs of tension are very tense shallow breathing. so i don't push anything till her breathing doesn't change and she stays relaxed. The leaning over and stuff took ages to. I'd imagine she had lads jockeying her a bit soit took another few weeks for that tension to go and her just relaxing being sat on.

Ridden she is a lot sweeter and easier than i expected. I expected a dead mouth, no bending and a very high head carriage and was completely shocked to actually a find a super sweet, bendy mare who was happy to start relaxing and looking for a contact. I'l post up vids of her first work under saddle.

The big issue i think will be bringing her hinds under her in trot as she is used to pushing them away. And canter.. which im not even thinking of till way down the line.

But as retraining project go she is an absolute dream and I could completely see how sulkies could be retrained to be nice allrounders

Clodagh

Visit site
She is a lovely girl, she has a beautiful head, like you say there is a bit of blood inthere.
I have found al lhorses from travellers have been bomb proof, there isn't much they don't see on a camp, yet very shut down. She is such a lucky girl.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think that video is possibly the most disturbing thing I've seen! What the hell is going on?! Where did the police go?? They were driving on the wrong side of the road towards artics both in the car and with the horses. What on earth??

Had seen this thread before but only just watched the video. YIKES. Another world, isn't it.

OP, she looks like a poppet.... looking forward to more reports of her progress ;)

paddi22

Visit site
yep she will be really interesting to retrain. her natural trot is to really push off and trail her legs behind, but i can feel her trying to figure out a rider so we kept it very easy. She is waaaayyy more supple and bendy that any baby horse i've ridden, and i think not having rider or learning bad habits in arenas might have actually stood to her.

I was trying to think of exercises to help her learn to get her hinds under her a bit. might post a video later just top get peoples opinion on exercises that might suit. Aim to hack her till shes a bit stronger tho and then have another look.

she has pottered down the road in walk, but im curios to see will i end up at 40 mph if i trot!

Tnavas

Visit site
yep she will be really interesting to retrain. her natural trot is to really push off and trail her legs behind, but i can feel her trying to figure out a rider so we kept it very easy. She is waaaayyy more supple and bendy that any baby horse i've ridden, and i think not having rider or learning bad habits in arenas might have actually stood to her.

I was trying to think of exercises to help her learn to get her hinds under her a bit. might post a video later just top get peoples opinion on exercises that might suit. Aim to hack her till shes a bit stronger tho and then have another look.

she has pottered down the road in walk, but im curios to see will i end up at 40 mph if i trot!

Transition, transition and more transitions