Return to ridden work following splint fracture surgery

acw295

Visit site
Anyone any experiences of bringing back to work after this type of surgery?

Molly had hind splint fracture surgery in late June (orginal injury was mid May), long spell of box rest then small paddock turnout and she is now back to "normal" all day turnout in proper sized paddock with company. Obviously she has lost all her muscle and fitness in that time :(

She started ridden walk work 10 days ago (12 weeks post surgery). Vet advised 15 mins walk daily for a week, then increasing by 5 mins a day until doing 1hr (we are currently at 35 mins). Keep at that until the end of week 4 and then start to introduce bursts of trot (this is all out hacking) for another 4 weeks. After that she should be ok to reintroduce schooling, canter etc gradually. But bottom line is walk, walk, walk as much as poss.

This is fine on paper but I've also managed to injure myself in the meantime, still on crutches and will be having an op on my knee myself at some point. I can get on to do walk work but not much more. More worryingly it is also getting dark and I work full time so fitting in 1hr hacking daily will be a struggle!

Anyone any experiences of doing return to work hacking in winter in the dark?! Our yard is on a restricted byway so have approx 1 mile of traffic free track I can use (2 miles if I cross a road) but she's not great in the dark.

It's going to be a long winter :(

SO1

Visit site
My pony got kicked and his splint bone broke. He has not had surgery just big bandages he was xrayed again after 6 weeks of box rest, more healing was needed so will be xrayed at 10 weeks.

If his x ray is ok on Monday my vet wants my pony to start to go on the horse walker and have very restricted small paddock turn out. He will have at least 4 weeks of this combination and then he will be x rayed again and if all is ok I can start riding him and he can have more turnout. What is interesting is in your situation your vet has let your horse have group big field turnout before starting building up strength through walking whereas my vet wants my pony to get his leg really strong again through walking before having group big field turnout to try and prevent injury through galloping about but then my pony has a break whereas your horse had a fracture so that might be the difference.

I know it is not much help but I work full time as well and to be honest I could not do all the walking myself so am quite glad he is at a rehab centre where they have a horse walker so he can get daily walking on the walker on the days I can't ride. He can also do some trotting on the walker if necessary.

I don't know what your circumstances are but could you afford to pay someone to help you out whilst you are injured?