Return to work after injury

emilylou

Visit site
Looking for some advice.
In May, my hunter sustained a small field injury to his hind suspensory. We had an undisclosed kicker temporarily added to the herd and I assume he did it trying to get out of her way as is tough and not prone to injuries. He was never lame on it but it was swollen so he had a week of bute and cold hosing 2x daily until the swelling went down, which took about 4 weeks to go completely.
The first vet, who saw him on the day, wasn't worried. My non horsey husband saw the vet as I was at work. He advised a week of bute, cold hose, then once the swelling is down to crack on with riding without restrictions.
I wasn't happy with this so sought a second opinion and got it scanned. Second vet said 'very very minor changes on the suspensory' prescribed 6 weeks off and a controlled return to work. He felt he would be able to return to full previous level of work without a problem and hunt this season and said no point in rescanning.
So today, we have done 8 weeks field rest, 4 weeks walking only, 4 weeks walk and trot (up to about 1 1/2 hr rides, hacking only) and are due to reintroduce canter this week, and stick to flatwork only for Sept with view to reintroducing jumping in Oct (which will be 6 months after injury)
The leg has not swelled up again and he has remained sound but once the initial swelling went down he was left with a windgall on that fetlock, which does go down after work. In the field he will canter around with his friends and will periodically jump the electric fencing so the leg is standing up to a fair bit.

I am pleased rehab is going well but can find very little about how soon to return to full work after a mild injury. Lots about significant ones but not much about small ones. I guess my question is, would you hunt this season?
My rough plan is to start gentle hound exercise in the next couple of weeks and build from there but do you think this is too soon? I am terrified of breaking him properly so don't want to do too much but equally would be gutted to miss this season.
Opinions and experiences greatly appreciated.

NOISYGIRL2

Visit site
I would double check with your vet, sounds like you've done everything correctly, I would look more long term, if you have to miss this season, I would go with whats best for the horse. I would think they'll either say go for it, see what he's like in full/normal work or just hack for now, seems a pity to put all your hard rehab work to waste if you do it too soon.