Reviews of Wow Free Space girth?

soloequestrian

Visit site
Still on my quest to find a girth that suit us - has anyone tried the Free Space girth and what did you think?
Thanks
Other suggestions also gratefully received.

HashRouge

Visit site
I'd never heard of them before but they look really interesting! Would there be any way to try one, say if you got a WOW fitter out? They're seriously pricey so can understand why you're looking for reviews first!

soloequestrian

Visit site
Good thinking - the woman at Wow didn't suggest that but I will investigate!
I forgot to ask if they've come up with a good way of judging how tight the girth is, obviously the normal point to feel wouldn't work!

asmp

Visit site
My saddle fitter showed one to us at Badminton and I thought it looked interesting. I think she said she had one herself. We are going to have a
Wow saddle fitting soon.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Last edited:

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks, I really should have though more about that - I asked the woman at Wow and she said the trial had ended. Didn't think to go back and check where I had read about it! Will pursue....

ycbm

Visit site
I have ordered one. Ludo has always been unsteady in the mouth and inconsistent in staying in front of my leg with his back up and carrying me. I tried riding him today in a very loose girth and I thought there was an immediate difference, so I came home and bought one.

Check back for a report later in the week.

I've screen shotted the page and fully intend to send it back for a refund if he doesn't think it's the best thing ever.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I eagerly anticipate the review! If you do it as a separate thread could you signpost it here? Quite fancy having a look at the Stubben Equi-soft too, as Cragrat said the idea looks similar. It seems to have a slightly larger bearing surface too.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have ordered one. Ludo has always been unsteady in the mouth and inconsistent in staying in front of my leg with his back up and carrying me. I tried riding him today in a very loose girth and I thought there was an immediate difference, so I came home and bought one.

Check back for a report later in the week.

I've screen shotted the page and fully intend to send it back for a refund if he doesn't think it's the best thing ever.

I just went for a look, intending to try it, and the refund statement has gone :-(

Maybe too many people sent them back ?

ycbm

Visit site
It's arrived, I'm picking it up at the post office on my way to the stables. I'm really hoping that he likes it, I don't fancy a fight over a refund.

ycbm

Visit site
It was a bit at the Post Office, not the girth but the girth has just arrived. I have to say I'm impressed with the quality, it's extremely difficult to tell it's not leather, and I prefer synthetic for its cleanability.

For anyone thinking of ordering one, order your normal girth size, they add 3 inches to allow for the drop caused by the pad.

My only criticism so far is that I think my girth straps are going to flap around because i fit the buckles as high as they will go to the flap (current biometrics advice), but I can probably solve that with some elastic bands.

I'll ride in it Monday now probably and report back.

soloequestrian

Visit site
My only criticism so far is that I think my girth straps are going to flap around because i fit the buckles as high as they will go to the flap (current biometrics advice), but I can probably solve that with some elastic bands. .

Are you using a shorter dressage style girth or a long one?

ycbm

Visit site
Well that wasn't expected.

Absolutely TRANSFORMATIONAL from the very first step.

I've had to lengthen my hold on the reins, and instead of putting him forward every few strides I was putting him forward every few minutes. Free walk was particularly shocking. I feel guilty now that I ever had a normal girth on him.

It's true to size, I was using exactly the same holes, except that with 2 straps you can have one done up a hole shorter than the other so it fits better than the old girth.

Criticisms are that they are using (industrial) rubber bands to control the tongue of the buckles instead of buying the sprung tongue buckles that are used on Harry Dabbs girths. Luckily I had an old HD girth and I've cut the buckles off that and replaced them. It's easy to do. There are no girth strap retainers, but the rubber bands of the buckles do an excellent job of that. I like the synthetic, it's virtually impossible to tell from leather and can be put under a tap.

It won't be going back, that's for sure.

Last edited:

ycbm

Visit site
That’s sounds brilliant YCBM.

So you ordered 3 inches bigger? So if my boy is in a 38 inch would I go up to a 42 as there isn’t a 41?

Nooo! You order the size you normally use, they supply it longer to compensate for the pad. I ordered 30 inch, it's actually 33.

Nari

Visit site
Has anyone tried them on a horse where the girth tends to move back, taking the saddle with it? I'm currently using an elasticated (he seems to prefer elastic) leather atherston girth plus a hunting breastplate and that's working well but I'm open to other options. I have to say the fact it isn't leather is a big point against it in my eyes though.