Rheas

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Hi all

A local farmer has decided to buy some rheas. We saw one in his field when we rode past and he explained to us that it escaped out of his barn and he was unable to catch it or round it up - its been loose since mid December. Said rhea has been grazing happily on his field but in the past few days it has wandered and now is several fields away - no longer on his land. Today he's turned out the rest off his flock into the original field. Not huge issue you may think but this field has no fence (just a very thin hedge with multiple gaps especially where the deer go through) and we have to ride on the lane alongside this hedge. We are very worried that we will meet one or more of his birds loose on the lane and, given that there is an A road at the end of this road, we are concerned (not just for us but also for car drivers).

I am guessing there are no restrictions on rhea farming but short of going and chatting to the farmer, or fencing his field for him, is there anything we can do? Are there rhea fencing guidelines?

Thanks in advance

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Personally I do not think it should be permissible for people to just buy creatures like this and keep them; you should have to have a licence IMO.

I wouldn't like to encounter one!

VERY irresponsible IMO for the farmer to not consider adequate fencing for the things before taking them on. One wonders if he is prepared to foot the bill should an accident by caused by them.

What about contacting your local council???

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
There is a legal obligation to fence in livestock.
That said, I have no idea if they come under livestock!
He will be legally responsible for them, worth explaining to him insurance issues if they cause damage or accident, or worse.

Edit, a link to a UK farm Here

"Fencing

Stock fencing with 2 strands of plain wire above has been found to be sufficient for adults although personally I have all my stock behind a 5’ fence so that I know they are secure. It does not have to be expensive, I have 2 runs of sheep netting one above the other. They can jump so make sure the fence line is clear of objects that can be used as take off points. Chicks will of course need a closer mesh and ordinary chicken wire will be sufficient for the very young."

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
He is going to be in big trouble if they get out and cause an accident. It is his legal responsibility to keep his animals in. Not sure if they are classed as dangerous animals, certainly not something you would walk up to.

Caol Ila

Visit site
If I encountered one of those on a ride, I think we would be moving in the opposite direction at a high rate of speed. We got hissed at by a grumpy (and ballsy) swan the other week, and my horse was not impressed.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
A land owner is prima facie responsible for any damage caused by anything that he has brought onto his land which is not normally found there if that thing escapes and causes damage.

I think I'd start riding with a light lance and a cavalry sabre, if there were badly contained rheas around.

In fact, they look to have a good bit of meat on them... I'd probably go out on foot with my longsword looking for one.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
We met Rheas and llamas out hacking once on holiday. Got spat at and chased.

My totally bombproof boy had a near complete nervous breakdown. He was "dear god what the hell is up with the chickens and sheep in these parts". I swear he ran for the hills farting and neighing "muuuuuuuuutants".

This made me lol! Sensible horse getting away from the mutants.

Landcruiser

Visit site
We met some in an adjacent field out on a TREC competition. Horse was very wary, making like a giraffe with organ-stop eyes. Then one of them did a thing where it spread itself out like an umbrella and shook its feathers at us. "I'm outta here!" said giraffe. Got off in a hurry and led my terrified giraffe past. So if one popped out of a hedge, I can guess what would happen!

limestonelil

Visit site
Just to reiterate that the farmer is legally required to keep his stock secured within his field, so that gappy hedge picture shows how inadequate the stockproofing is. Unfortunately I don't know how you're going to persuade him to get it sorted.

Reacher

Visit site
Laughs bitterly at farmers being required to fence in livestock! Up until about a year ago there was a farmer in the village who would not mend huge holes in fence (said it was neighbouring farmers responsibility) and groups of cows used to go for a walk around the village (looking for food as weren't fed enough) and used to get into our garden and do damage - farmer said it was our responsibility to keep them out of our garden! Arguing got you nowhere

Brownmare

Visit site
Laughs bitterly at farmers being required to fence in livestock! Up until about a year ago there was a farmer in the village who would not mend huge holes in fence (said it was neighbouring farmers responsibility) and groups of cows used to go for a walk around the village (looking for food as weren't fed enough) and used to get into our garden and do damage - farmer said it was our responsibility to keep them out of our garden! Arguing got you nowhere
We had this with sheep in our village. It was particularly frustrating for us trying to maintain the high health status of our own sheep and therefore being unable to put them in any fields with a road gate in case they picked anything up off the scabby lame wormy strays! Eventually Trading Standards and the council rounded them up and seized them but it took months of reporting stray animals to them and on 101 before it became enough of a nuisance to take action.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site

Brownmare

Visit site
Thank you, so allowing a non native species to remain loose is an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, anyone have any ideas who enforces this? Local council? Police Wildlife Officer?
I'd speak to your local Police Wildlife Officer in the first instance but they might pass you on to Trading Standards. Is one still out on its own or are they now all in the same field? Nothing will be done if they stay where they are meant to so I'd get on with rhea proofing your horse. Good luck!