Rib Pain....Advice....

H-J

www.piczo.com
Hi, Somebody posted on here a little while ago about broken ribs and when you could rie again etc.

I was just wondering whether you was in pain all the time with a broken rib?

I know this may sound silly!! But I have really hurt my rib, it kills to sneeze, cough and lift my arm up but doesnt hurt when im just sitting still, do you think I may have just pulled a muscle?
confused.gif

Im not a wimp by any means!! But this really hurts!
frown.gif

UKa

community.webshots.com
have never had a broken rib but I fractured my arm once - slept over night on it because also 'I am no whimp' but it really really was painful and next morning doctor confirmed it was broken. I would get it checked out if you are in so much pain. good luck!!!

lizzieuk1

Visit site
HI,
can you give me some more info on what happened to you, ie did you fall on your ribs? is ther a bruise or was there?, when it started hurting, what sort of pain is it eg burning , aching etc, what about pain with deep breaths? can you touch the rib or in between the ribs?

frannieuk

Visit site
I've broken ribs a couple of times, the first time was pretty similar to what you describe although I recall I ached all the time. The second time (last year) was agony, could barely move, breathing was painful let alone anything else (laughing, sneezing etc) and I could feel a sort of squelching in my chest where the bones moved. Nothing they can do for ribs though, just rest and don't overdo it. I strapped mine up with wide elastoplast as it made me a lot more comfortable - albeit looked a bit wierd! I took ibuprofen, codeine and paracetamol to make it a bit better. If you are in doubt I'd pop to the hospital but all they do is x-ray, confirm, and then tell you to rest but give you a big bag of drugs!!
grin.gif

H-J

www.piczo.com
This the strange thing I didnt fall! I havent banged it or anything that I know of!!

It just started hurting last night and has got worse and it is on the bone, it feels like a big bruise when I touch it, but there is no redness, no bruising, no swelling.

And it really hurts when I cough, sneeze put my arm in the air etc

brightmount

Visit site
I bruised/cracked (?) a rib a few weeks ago when my two horses I was turning out spooked and took off in opposite directions, dragging me into the fence post!!! The pain you are describing is just how I felt, and it lasted about 3 weeks in all. It's a real nuisance when you still have yard duties to do - mucking out and stacking the muck heap become mission impossible. It hurts to breathe, and to get comfortable at night.

They don't do anything for cracked ribs, you just have to take ibuprofen until the symptoms go.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
You may've "popped" the rib - I did this about 4 months ago and was in absolute agony!
frown.gif
I couldn't ride for at least a week as I was in so much pain - any bouncy movement felt absolutely awful - took a long time to heal too - sorry!
frown.gif

Kate x

H-J

www.piczo.com
Excuse my thickness but what do you mean popped the rib?!!
confused.gif

Im in no pain at all just sitting typing at my PC, and breathing normally, just deep breaths hurt.

lizzieuk1

Visit site
it would be v unlikely that you have afracture without a trauma to the area, unless you are predisposed eg have possible osteoporosis, it could well be a simple dysfuntion of the ribs and/or your diaphragm, any condition like this is always v painful since your ribs are constantly moving whilst you're breathing, the movement of your arm causing pain suggests that it may be one of the muscles that connects your arm to the upper rib cage, its probably become 'tight' from riding etc and is pulling on the ribs this feels like a bruise since it constsntly stresses the area where the muscle attaches to the ribs, try alternately cool and warm packing the area, 3 mins warm 3 mins cool, finish with cool, this will help the area to heal and reduce the inflammation. Otherwise see a good Osteopath
wink.gif
we treat these things all the time so i'm sure you would benefit.

H-J

www.piczo.com
I think it may be muscles ligaments.

Have a doctors app at 5.20pm earliest they could do!! So fingers crossed, as I have riding to do tonight and 2 jump lessons tomorrow!!!
frown.gif

lizzieuk1

Visit site
Hollyjane, great to go to doctors and i'm sure they'll check out for a fracture etc but not to be too harsh they won't actually 'do' anything constructive except give you pain killers, if you're happy to sit it out on the pills then you should be ok in a few weeks, do the cool/warm thing and you'll find things will heal much quicker, you never know it might even reduce the number of pain killers you have to take
smile.gif

Loupride

s25.photobucket.com
I broke a few ribs a couple of years ago and the pain you are describing suonds very similar. It was agony to cough, laugh or sneeze, anything that caused the chest cavity to expand! To be on the safe side I would advise you to go get it checked out. There is not alot they can do for you but they may just strap you up to try and help you feel more comfortable.

Best Wishes - I feel for you
grin.gif

Jadejods

Visit site
Hi Hollyjane.

It was me who recently posted about broken ribs.

I fell 3 weeks ago in the menage and broke 3 ribs.

I am still in pain, taking Codiene, Paracetomol and ibuprofen.

I cannot lift my arm of sneeze and cough ( i dread to think of the pain that coughing causes!)

Can you lie down on your bed and turn around alright?

Can you feel like a popping sensation around your ribs when you move?

You must go and get checked sweetheart, there is nothing that can be done , complete rest is all they advice, i am off work for 8 weeks with mine.

I really , really feel for you, you poor thing.

Please let me know what the outcome is, and i would not ride unyil the pain is completley gone.

Take care Hollyjane. x

amzy

Visit site
This may sound really silly but maybe it is trapped wind!! Also, try lying on your back for 2 minutes on a hard floor. This worked for me when I had the same symptoms a while ago.
smile.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
My dad fell off and broke 3 ribs, really there is nothing you can do about them but rest until they heal themselvs, he was in agony partically when sneezing or coughing laughing etc. Doctor came and saw him gave him some painkiller and told him top rest he didnt ride for 2 months

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
You may have inflammation of the plueua (not sure of spelling) the membrane between your lungs and ribcage I think it is, not a broken rib, that gives symptoms as you described. Try some ibuprofen for a couple of days and if it goes it's likely to be that.
I get it every so often due to my spine starting to curve with age, it pulls on one side and makes it sore.

spider

community.webshots.com
I had an infection in my ribs once (can't remember what they called it) painful to cough, breathe etc. Had to sleep sitting up. Needed antlbiotics. I would check it out with the doctor.