Richard Davison - No throat lash?

Three

Visit site
Watching Richard Davison riding Hiscox Artemis at Olympia it appeared that he wasn't using a throat lash?

Anyone know why? :confused:

Please feel free to shoot me down in flames or tell me that a well known highstreet opticians is the place for me. :D

tiggs

Visit site
I didn't notice it but I know that Elevator Bridles can be made without a throatlash and on their website it says "•The Weymouth is available without a throat lash - the most popular choice."

TarrSteps

Visit site
There was a thread on here before about a dressage bridle with a cheek strap instead of a standard throatlatch. I think it was in one of FBs German photo threads.

I haven't seen it but my best guess is it would be for horses with quite "thick" throats working in high collection. In order not to interfere in some moments the throatlatch would likely have to be so loose as to be distracting the rest of the time. Or the horse might just not like it - at that level you're not going to use something the horse has a problem with if you have another option.

Gamebird

Visit site
....and I think it's highly unlikely that he'll get into a situation where he needs it to keep the bridle on ;).

They commonly make work bridles without them for simplicity. However I'm with Tarrsteps (as usual ;)) on the thick throat hypothesis.

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
As Gamebird says, it's highly unlikely a double bridle will come off, so there is no real need for a throatlash.

My double bridle (Elevator) doesn't have it either:

xndzxw.jpg

I have never liked double bridles with a throatlash, I think they look ugly! Too much leather!

For the record, this is the strange cheek strap mentioned by TS:

23lxuhg.jpg

Last edited:

fleabittengrey

Visit site
As Gamebird says, it's highly unlikely a double bridle will come off, so there is no real need for a throatlash.

My double bridle (Elevator) doesn't have it either:

xndzxw.jpg

That looks so clean and neat! I have never really seen the point in a throat lash... except as suggested, in extreme circumstances but for your average horse/rider, when does it ever prove necessary?

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
Haha, it is clean, I practically only use it for shows and the training session before a show, I ride in a (not so clean) snaffle most of the time :)

Agree there is no need for a throat lash, I would buy a snaffle without it too if they existed!

fleabittengrey

Visit site
Sorry I didn't mean polished, meant clean as in a clean line on the horses face, looks neat, tidy, no clutter. coming from a showing point of view I am always interested in how the weight or thickness of the leather looks on my horses head, etc. Bad choice of word on my part! I am the last person to notice clean tack!

kezimac

Visit site
i got one of those equidisc - they are massive though on the cheekpiece - although perhaps cunning plan for use as blinkers!!! lol need them sometimes with my mare lol.

Gamebird

Visit site
i got one of those equidisc - they are massive though on the cheekpiece - although perhaps cunning plan for use as blinkers!!! lol need them sometimes with my mare lol.

Ha! I planned on using a large number each side for a rather nappy/spooky horse. Figured they'd be the same as blinkers!

Gamebird

Visit site
Agree there is no need for a throat lash, I would buy a snaffle without it too if they existed!

They do! Kate Negus make a 'half work bridle' which hasn't got a throatlash, bizarrely I can't find it online, but it's in their catalogue. You can have any noseband etc. you want with it.

Have a feeling that Equiport might do too.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I don't really get the point of a throat lash either tbh, I have seen horses bridles come clean off with them fastened. My sister was once left holding her bridle in the middle of the road whilst her pony pegged off for home :eek: :D