Richard Maxwell Halters

vicm2509

Visit site
Has anyone used one of these. Ive been reading a book called '30 mins a day to a better horse' and it shows a few teqniques using the richard maxwell training halter. Baron isnt a naughty or ill mannered horse but I like to look of the exercises you can do and it would make a good alternative to riding or other ground work we do and may further improve his manners and respect for me.

So is it worth the money? And whats the opinions from anyone who has followed his training methods?

If I bought one I would also intend to buy a book (if he has one, not looked yet) to show me how its done.

claire1976

Visit site
I haven't used RM halter/books but have followed Parelli and Monty Roberts methods for 6 years and use a basic rope halter with pressure points. I've had great success with the halter and methods but it takes time.
You will open up a debate here about NH/IH methods but I feel it works very well if you take the time to do it properly. Instant results are rare and for me the icing on the cake is not only a horse that has great manners and can be moved easily in all directions but its the bond I have with her thats the best. I don't need food to bribe/reward her, she wants to be with me and that is the greatest reward of all.

Lou2006

www.flyingchange.co.uk
I have one, yes it's worth the money. It's not a magic piece of rope though, you have to use it properly. It comes with an instructional DVD/video. Definitely helped me loads with my horse. As have Max's books/DVDs.

I highly recommend it!

Good luck.

Lou.x

vicm2509

Visit site
Oh so I dont have to buy a book seperatly, thats good. I may put one on my last min xmas list
smile.gif

Kermie

Visit site
I have a couple of RM pressure halters and they are definitely worth their weight in gold. The video that comes with them is very informative and IMO has to be watched before using the halter as it can be very severe in the wrong hands.

I have Fells who can be very stroppy when they want and they are also very strong. I have found that a couple of sessions in the pressure halter - where THEY put the pressure on themselves and work out that taking the pressure off makes them more comfortable - is enough to teach them to lead/load, etc properly. They do need the odd reminder session, but I am talking once every couple of years, not all that regularly. They are a smart bunch of ponies though!

Kermie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you need the headcollar? Would an ordinary headcollar not do?
What advantage would this one give?

[/ QUOTE ]

You try holding a Fell who wants to go somewhere in an ordinary halter and you will quickly understand why the pressure halter is so invaluable, lol!
wink.gif

Kermie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
yes, but the OP clearly said that the horse is not naughty or ill mannered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, but she did say it may improve his manners so he's obviously not a total saint!

Kermie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i bought one of these for my horse
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Natural-Horsemansh...1QQcmdZViewItem

My view if it works the same and gets the same responses then save yourself a hug amount of money

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard some people say the pressure doesn't release very quickly (and sometimes not at all) with those halters. Also you don't get the video which IMO forms a vital part of the Richard Maxwell package.

_daisy_

Visit site
Ive not had a problem with the pressure/realise on the halter. But we do you the minimum of a 12ft line with it - preferably the 22ft one. Any of the halters must be used correctly - i have been shown by the NH lady - but yes think the video would be very informative

star

Visit site
i have the richard maxwell halter and video and it is amazing - completely changed my life and that is no understatement. was taking me up to 3hrs of complete stress to get my horse in a box and he wouldn't go withing 100metres of a trailer. after training him with it in the school, he now walks straight onto any mode of transport i would like. still tries it on if i dont have it though, so we never go anywhere without it. also use it for in-hand walking and vet visits - amazing!