richard maxwell update

pelena

Visit site
Absolutely brilliant session with Richard Maxwell today. The man really deserves his reputation (as well as being a genuinely nice bloke).

After casting him a few suspicious glances, P (my mare) responded very well. The method he uses really suits her (and I suspect most horses) as she’s too clever for her own good, and is adept at finding numerous ways to throw her toys out of the pram. Once she masters something though, she is very pleased with herself.

It didn’t take him long to get her on at first, though she threw a couple of epic strops (the waving both front feet kind.....) She soon got the hang of it, and more importantly, after a while stopped being wound up whilst in the trailer. (To be honest, had she walked up the ramp straightaway, I might have turned her into glue....)

After a break we worked on loading her in the car park (idea is that it creates a “second day” effect- previously had been loading from the lunge arena), with lots of noise, the farrier next door, etc... Again, fab results.

Both my sharer and I worked with her with great success (also overcoming a couple of strops which I think is important). Horse, sharer and I learnt an awful lot. His methods make total sense and he does have a great sense of timing, and explains everything very thoroughly.

All in all, worth every penny. Bring on the homework now!

LouS

Visit site
That's great! He really is good. When I had him out I had a lot of light bulb moments, his methods are so simple and some even obvious once he's shown you them!

I'm glad its worked out for you. Keep up with your homework!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am really glad it went well and hopefully you will be all ready to go when the good weather gets here and enjoy the sumner.

BlairandAzria

Visit site
Thats such great news, he sounds like was worth every penny! Does he give you new ideas of things to practice at home, or is it just simply repetition of what he taught you?

In any event im glad it was a sucessful day, you must be so pleased!:D

MeganLindsx

Visit site
Can i be cheeky and ask how much he charges as my horse sounds exactly like your mare and was thinking about contacting someone like him?

muff747

Visit site
I'm a big fan of Max and his methods, who learnt initially from the man himself Monty Roberts. It's like they talk so much sense. Why have we been getting things so wrong when it seems so logical now?
The methods suit absolutely every horse, because it is based on horses body language, and they all speak the same language. It's up to us to learn their language, and they visibly relax and sort of breathe a sigh of relief as if to say
"At last, someone is listening to us!"
I have organised three "Learning Days" over the years, he will come out and do a mini demo at your yard. It has been a pleasure to learn from him and much was gained from his knowledge by owners needing guidance and spectators who came to watch, listen and learn.
My horse used to be the rudest, bolshy brute who would pull you over when leading him and would not be tied up, he'd just take up the slack on the rope and pull until it broke. It was a nightmare loading him and I couldn't tie him up at shows in case he bogged off:eek:
With just twenty minutes of schooling with Max's halter, I began to re-educate him and eventually had the best behaved and relaxed horse on the yard!
He does have a support phone line for those who have had him school their horses and provided you follow his instructions, you will have a better bond and relationship with your horse which carries over into the saddle as well as on the ground.