Richardson v Ifor Williams

Luckylocalian

Visit site
Help please!

I have been offered a one year old black large Richardson trailer (to fit +17hh) for £2600. It is in great condition and virtually new but needs a service. I really wanted an Ifor 510 as has a great reputation but I have never owned a trailer before so don't know the benefits of each trailer. Can anyone give me any tips or advice please!! Am out of my depth and need to let her know within 24 hours!

Thanks

alicedove

Visit site
I think the Ifor is good, it is light, they are around 3k new at least. They have an aluminium floor.

The Rice is as good, I think it is nicer looking, it is 200kg heavier therefore need more fuel to tow and a big fat 4x4.

I just had a look at the Rice Richardson online and it has a few more little additions, than the Ifor such as tie rings, and sliding windows, etc.

Also, are you sure it needs servicing? I think if the brakes, tyres, lights, etc are okay and the hitch is greased, etc it should be fine and the floor has to be excellent at that age. It has a moulded plastic floor guaranteed for life! At one year old nothing should be wrong with it.

I would go for it, but just to be sure, make them an offer of £2,500 if possible, don't forget it's a time of depression! Say you have to get it checked over!

Luckylocalian

Visit site
Thanks. It belongs to a women at the yard that is downsizing as her big horse died ( :-( ) I just thought that the Ifor's seemed a lot more "stable" inside and had a lot more padding and therefore seemed to be less rattley? I really don't know much at all about trailers tho (need to learn fast). It is the Richardson Supreme Grande. I was worried as there are little holes in the floor and you can see the road underneath (it is designed like this). Am I being silly just because there seems to be a lot more Ifors around?!?! It's a lot of money - don't want to get it wrong!

alicedove

Visit site
No . . if it's definitely only one year old, and you are meant to see the floor through (!?) (sounds odd?) but if the "holes" are put there to let wee through or wash the trailer out, etc. then that's all fine.

If you absolutely know its just one year old, then I'd say go for it, that's a fair price.

I wouldn't be too hung up about the differences between the Ifor and the Rice. I have an Ifor and I think they're a lot less attractive than the Rice. The little accesories sound great in the Rice!

You must tow with something heavy though, like a land rover or toyota jeep type vehicle.

Luckylocalian

Visit site
Thanks Armhole - the holes are in all their trailers (think that is the reason - wee or water or something). It is definitely one year old - she showed me the manufacturer's booklet/receipt as she bought it new. It doesn't seem as big as the Ifor - do you think it will fit him? Should I travel him withut the partition in it? Sorry for all the questions- appreciate your help!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I have an Ifor, just because thats what my OH bought, the main difference is the front ramp on Ifors is on the offside and the Richardson is on the nearside, which is preferable. TBH in this day and age the big name trailers are all pretty similar. Sounds like a good deal.
smile.gif

Luckylocalian

Visit site
Thanks! The final question I have is whether it is tall enough and wide enough for my 17'2 warmblood- it's internal height is 7'7inches/2.33m and the internal width is 5'6/1.68....

JM07

Visit site
i would choose a richardson for personal use..but have ifors which i hire out because they are what "joe public" expects...

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Here is a price list & size information for Richardson Trailers:
http://www.richardsontrailers.co.uk/downloads/RICHARDSON_HORSE_PRICE.pdf

If the internal height is as you say then it will be easily high enough to take your horse. The Bateson Trailers are advertised as suiting 17h horses & their internal height is 7'02"(2.22m).

In preference, although they are heavier to tow I would go for the Richardson every time. Why buy a Ford when you can have a Rolls Royce
grin.gif

On the noise issue, Richardsons are quieter, I always think Ifors rattle so much.

Louby

Visit site
Ive had both and they both have there plus points. £2600 for a one year old Richardson is a bargain as they are about £3800+ new but then they dont sell as well as Ifors (having just sold my Richardson!)
Towing wise, the Richardson beats the Ifor hands down, so so smooth with the independant suspension and lightweight. Mine was 3 yr old and weighed 1000kg, less than the Ifor 510. It was the Supreme Grande.
Practibility, I would say the Ifor is more robust. My ramp on the Richardson was perfectly safe but I could see it bow a little but then my horse was a nightmare in a trailer (hence selling it) and bounced all over it,
Floors, the newer Richardson, 3 yrs and less have a life guarantee on the floor, they are plastic. I personally dont like aluminium floors but suppose they are much safer than a 2nd hand wooden floor.
The 510 is wider than the Supreme Grande so depends on whether you want to carry two large horses although mine was more than capable of it, the heights about the same.
You wont get a 1 yr old Ifor 510 for that price unless you know someone with one so I think I'd go with the Richardson. I got over £2500 for my 3 yr old Richardson so its a bargain.
Oh forgot to say the front unload is much better on the kerb side, more room for getting your horse out too and the front top door is massive and makes the trailer very airy.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
I would go for a Richardson every time. Dont worry about the size, your horse will fit, I used to travel a 16.2 mw TB in the Supreme Rosette which is the smallest they do.

Mine towed fantastically really stable and the horses travelled well. The big horse I mentioned above used to be dodgy to load but was much better into the Richardson as it was so light and airy, even more so when the door over the front ramp is open.

I much prefer the front ramp on the left. In particular if you are travelling big horses the Richardson ramp is wider so the horse is less likely to bang their hips when coming out of the trailer.

The price you have been offered the trailer at is a an absolute bargain and you will not go wrong with that.

As for resale, yes there are more Ifors on the market but people who buy Richardsons tend to keep them until they die. My Richardson sold absolutely no problem whatsoever.

kizzywiz

Visit site
Defo Richardson every time, mine tows beautifully & the ponies travel really well. The ramp is wider & on the left as someone else mentioned, also has independent suspension which means each wheel can move up & down independently rather than the whole axle ie both wheels moving, so horses get a smoother ride. I travelled my mare in a friends Ifor, she banged about the whole way & arrived all sweaty, which has never happened in the Richardson, go for it, sounds fab & a bargain to boot!

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Here is a price list & size information for Richardson Trailers:
http://www.richardsontrailers.co.uk/downloads/RICHARDSON_HORSE_PRICE.pdf

If the internal height is as you say then it will be easily high enough to take your horse. The Bateson Trailers are advertised as suiting 17h horses & their internal height is 7'02"(2.22m).

In preference, although they are heavier to tow I would go for the Richardson every time. Why buy a Ford when you can have a Rolls Royce
grin.gif

On the noise issue, Richardsons are quieter, I always think Ifors rattle so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

with you, TZ...Richardsons are indeed quieter than an ifor...you can hear an ifor coming 100 yrds away!

they are far more stable too...

but my top choice would be wessex...fantastic trailers....