ridden/working hunter dress code

Pidge

Visit site
Not doing any more of these till next year but with Christmas coming up I was hoping to put some items on my wish list. Can't put a photo up here as am at work and they block photobucket. So have copied link to previous post which shows up when we entered our one and only ridden hunter class.

web page

Currently have a brown jump saddle and have a close fitting brown numnah which you can hardly see when worn. brown breastplate and brown hunter bridle, with ordinary pelham and two reins. I have ariat black boots and chaps, cream breeches, brown tweed jacket and cream stock (ready tied) and pin, brown leather gloves and brown crop and a black GPA hat. Because I class him as a novice can I ride in a snaffle or is rugby Pelham better or a double bridle? Do I use the breastplate or leave it off? Have just bought a really nice tie to go with my jacket, what colour shirt would be best? Also want one of those velvet hats with skin coloured straps, which colour is best?
Any advice much appreciated as I want to do well next year, if not at least I’ll look the part!

KatB

Visit site
Ridden hunter you would leave the breastplate off, and although catagorically you're correct to be ina snaffle at novice, I would go with the double bridle effect. Workers you can put a breastplate on, and whatever bridle your horse is happiest jumping in. I would personally go with a snaffle where possible! Your turnout sounds fine.
smile.gif

Pidge

Visit site
Cheers
grin.gif
don't want to let him down by being incorrectly turned out! So we won't get marked down for being in a snaffle then? He will go in the snaffle, pelham or double so it really doesn't matter to me. What colour hat would be best as can hopefully get one with my Christmas present money? Would brown be ok or does it have to be blue?

KatB

Visit site
Yes for workers you'd be fine in snaffle. With Show hunter, I would use a pelham or double, just seems to be the norm! With a brown tweed jacket, I would go with a brown hat, its just a case of everything looking neat and workmanlike.
smile.gif

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I would go for a blue hat. You won't see many brown hats in affiliated classes except for pony classes generally i.e. M&Ms and show hunter ponies. Don't wear a stock. You should only wear a stock when out hunting or wearing a navy jacket in an evening performance. Choose a nice burgundy tie which will suit the jacket. A creamy shirt would be best. Buy cheap Tesco dusters and wash them on a hot wash with a white shirt and it wil save you a fortune. Brown gloves as well (can't see what colour you are wearing!)

On a horse turnout note I would prefer to see a pulled tail (but this is totally up to you!) - but definitely have the tail trimmed so it is level. This will also make it look a lot thicker. Trim his heels to make his legs look a little "sharper".

It would be more correct if you could get your hair into a bun which would look much neater as well. Technically you should have spurs on as well, but for local it is probably not as important if you would rather not.

Have fun!

fjudge

Visit site
I looked at your pictures and i think you are almost there!!
smile.gif

I am using the 3rd picture down on the link you have put in and here are my suggestions for WH Ridden -

1- Loose the martingale/breastplate.

2- Lenghten your stirrups if you can! Maybe even just one hole, or 2 if you could.

3- Pulled tail!!
smile.gif

4- Use elastic instead of string for your number.

5- Use a cane!!! Not a whip!! (For riddens)

6- Get a blue or brown show hat (not essential, many dont, but personally i think it looks smarter)

I hope you find these pointers helpful...your horse is lovvverly and i think you could go affilliated showing with him. BSPS/PUK...which ever!

Never wear a breastplate/martingale for riddens. For affiliated it is eticate (cant spell!), it maybe even states it in the rules. Also it breaks up the horses neck.

If you do WH (jumping) classes with him, then you should wear the breastplate/martingale as it looks nice!
smile.gif

Here is a link to me dressed as a SH (similar to Ridden Hunter attire ...) http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/fjudge/PUK.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/fjudge/puk3.jpg

Good luck in the future with your boy. He is very nice. x

Pidge

Visit site
Cheers for that. Is it worth getting the blue hat as opposed to the brown that would match my jacket? Do you think we would ever get to affiliated level? He is a 16.3 9yo ISH and now a healthy 618kg. Got the brown gloves. Personally not keen on pulled tails, would plaiting it be acceptable? Will give it a trim as not touched it since I had him
tongue.gif
The bun I can do.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Most people wear blue hats, even with green or brown tweeds. It is just one of those weird showing things! Plaiting tails is fine for local stuff, but affiliated you would HAVE to pull his tail really. See how you do with the local workers (some of the shows have decent judges and you may be able to ask their opinions on your horse).

Pidge

Visit site
Thanks ever so much for this, had forgotten that my stirrups were at jump length and didn't get chance to alter them. blue hat gets a 2nd vote, so think its gonna be blue.
Am being really dense but what is BSPS/PUK? And what is the difference between ridden hunter and show hunter? Lovely photos, you and your horse look very smart
grin.gif

Pidge

Visit site
Ok so will put a blue hat on my christmas list. Thanks again for the advice much appreciated
grin.gif
will get sorted for next year and have a go at the ridden and working if brave enough to jump 2'6". Do you think he is the sort the judges look for?

buckybee

Visit site
Yes he is lovely!! i would put some long boots on the list too, I'm not a showing person, but i'm a hunting one, and i think you need to look the part!

My boots are a bit battered at the mo so I'm going to look on ebay - some bargins but I'm thinking the sizes with be difficult!
crazy.gif

fjudge

Visit site
Show Hunter s for the ponies. Its usually titled Show Hunter Ponies, then it will say exceeding 143cm but not exceeding 153cm (depending on what height section).

Go to all the local stuff, like FMM said, then take it from there. The affilliated Working Hunter jumping class can get quite big!!!!!!

****I have pm'd you****

And good luck with it all!
smile.gif

Pidge

Visit site
Have tried to get long boots in the past but really struggle as I have big calves! Any idea where I can get ones to fit?

Pidge

Visit site
Cheers
grin.gif
Think I will probably gear him more towards the ridden hunter as although he loves and is good at his jumping mum is not quite so confident
tongue.gif