Ride and drag

TangoCurly

Visit site
hello!

I am considering taking my youngster Curly (who is rising 2) out for a bit of what i call ride and drag (you ride your horse and lead the other one from it, think others call it ponying, not entirely sure though). Curly is really rather sensible and is bitted and the horse i will be riding (the youngster's dam, Chika) is very very easy to ride and sensible.

Is this a good idea, or is it too early to be doing such things? I just feel it would be nice for Curly to see a bit more of the world. She is already fine with traffic, tractors, bins, etc.

bye!

Simsar

Visit site
I'd call it ride and lead, we can get upto 7 horses in the polo world, ride one lead six!!

I wouldn't do this with one of mine until later this year though, still a tad young. IMO.

Tempi

Visit site
Personally i wouldnt. i have a 2yo old and i would never dream of riding even the safest horse with him. Do some longreining with him or just lead him out for a hack with another horse with you walking on the floor - a much safer option.

millitiger

Visit site
can work really well with youngsters to get them out and about.
i do it with mine sometimes- only around the farm but we have a few 100 acres to go around.

i wouldn't go too far as obviously still quite young.

is your other horse used to having horses led from her?

i would probably walk the youngster out in hand a few times to get her used to it, then walk out with someone riding the other horse and when you ride and lead for the first time i would have someone on foot 'just in case.'

imafluffybunny

Visit site
I have done it once with my rising 2 year old wb from a very quiet horse, just to add the youngster has been led along the same route quite a few times in hand and is very well bahaved.
The only reason I did it was to move them from one field to another, hense the reason she has walked the same route before.

I dont think I will rush into doing it again, youngsters are too unpredictable and at that age they really only need to be handled for the vet, farrier etc and should be out playing in the field. That is my opinion anyway.

holiday

www.bathleyhillfarmlivery.com
I think two is a little young to expect your baby to really behave and of course you do have to remember the effect on her legs and joints. Although a quiet walk out wouldnt do her any harm.

I take all my youngsters out ride and lead before they are hacked out but usually wait until three or older if just being backed.

I feel it is the safest way to get them out and seeing the sights and sounds of the real world. I wouldnt take them out on my own though in case they do panic and you need some help. In general a well adjusted baby just takes it in their stride and ive never had a problem yet. I found its the older horses you are teaching to lead for the first few times can be the worst!!!!!

cundlegreen

Visit site
Good idea, in moderation.I used to produce TB yearlings for the sales, and two year olds to go into training.Provided you've got a sensible lead horse, they learn so much. Mine were taken out in traffic, past livestock etc, to give them a real all round education.Steady walking is also the best way of building up a youngster. I never lead off a bit.I usually use a lunge cavesson though.

rocketdog69

Visit site
I have done ride and lead with my youngster when he was just 2. I started off with just walking for about 10 mins and once a week then gradually got further and further, introduced trotting and a bit of hill work. He thoroughly enjoyed it and it didnt do him any harm. He's now used to very light traffic, other horses coming upsides him, dustbins, barking dogs in gardens etc etc. He is level headed and sensible and despite being almost 17hh (and entire when we started) at 2 and half was very easily lead from a 15.2 Andalusian.

I can thoroughly recommend ride and lead with a youngster but start very slowly and only for 10/15 mins and only do it if you can totally trust the horse you are leading from!