Ride on Fly Rug for a Heavy Horse?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Does anyone know if these exist?

My Suffolk is very sensitive to flies and is already covered in every fly spray and gel going, unfortunately he is huge so flies never fail to find him. They don't even seem put off my his gentle scent of garlic.

Ruggles rugs fit him better than Epic but neither has a ride on fly rug. He wears 7'6". Any advice?

Equi

Visit site
Eeeek. 1) i need a photo of said horse. 2) this may be a job for a good rug repair person with a bit of design mind.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Funnily enough, I've just received a bunch of photos following a photo shoot for a book. The rejected photos are mine to share or print. I downloaded them earlier but need to reduce them in size before sharing.

I guess there isn't a huge market for heavy horse ridden stuff. It might be easier to pop to a camping shop and buy a tent for him to wear! Sometimes Shires equipment can fit but standard fit rugs tend to look like mini skirts on him.

Morag4

Visit site
If you ever find one let me know, my big lad had a complete melt down due to horse flies to the point I had to get off and get the bleeding HF that was latched on to his chest, nice walk home leading...not. Going to see how he fares hacking in his boett, praying he won't overheat.

Equi

Visit site
Funnily enough, I've just received a bunch of photos following a photo shoot for a book. The rejected photos are mine to share or print. I downloaded them earlier but need to reduce them in size before sharing.

I guess there isn't a huge market for heavy horse ridden stuff. It might be easier to pop to a camping shop and buy a tent for him to wear! Sometimes Shires equipment can fit but standard fit rugs tend to look like mini skirts on him.

I feel your pain, but in the opposite way! I can very rarely find anything that fits my miniatures without going below their knees.

My horse is a 6'9 not too terrible to find things for, but has an XL head, so finding a head collar/bridle in a shop is difficult!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I feel your pain, but in the opposite way! I can very rarely find anything that fits my miniatures without going below their knees.

My horse is a 6'9 not too terrible to find things for, but has an XL head, so finding a head collar/bridle in a shop is difficult!

Ruggles are fabulous. They do a mini range as well as a Heavy Horse range and I'm very happy with quality & price. Just no ride on fly rug.

I might have to buy a new fly rug and get creative with the sewing machine, on the old one.

Ernie's bridle is pretty much made to order because he's bigger than xfull. His cheekpieces are full though because Suffolks have broad, but not very long heads. Headcollers sometimes slip down over his nose. We have a warmblood size which isn't a bad fit.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
17vu7Ju.jpg

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Lovely photo!

My Jay Man had a normal rug, but the flies still got his tummy despite him being a rather sporty breed. I bought some tulle fabric from ebay and sewed it on, so Jay Man went hacking wearing what looked like a tutu. Did the trick though!

My fly rug was a quarters only one, and for the front end I used an old fly rug and cut the back off. It meant it could not rub his shoulders as the front end was free. For the middle I used the back end of the fly rug slit along the back seam and sewed some ties so it could be tied to the saddle Ds.

It was like a tutu wearing armadillo, 3 sections that moved independently, but he was protected and could move freely with no rubs so he was happy!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I've found HorzeHoods Ltd do a ride on rug up to 7'9". I've ordered one for Ernie. I realise it won't be deep enough for his generous bum but, I'm hoping it is big enough to allow movement, and I can add some fringing to the bottom.

FFAQ

Visit site
Gorgeous boy! I'm having a similar issue with my shire. She's in 7'3 rugs. I was thinking about asking DoPo coats to make one. They're on Facebook and make mostly hi-vis stuff to order but I'm sure I saw some ride on fly rugs on her page.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I emailed Equisafety about making their mesh, polite, high viz rug in a special size as a half way measure, but not heard back yet.

I thought they'd be able to help because police horses generally come in XXL too.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
This thread shows there is a business opportunity for making kit for big horses doesn't it. There is the 'big horse' company who don't seem to carry much stock. I left it too late to buy fly rugs for my two heavies and now really regret my stupidity. Nothing off the peg fits Ted and Martha properly.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I emailed Equisafety about making their mesh, polite, high viz rug in a special size as a half way measure, but not heard back yet.

I thought they'd be able to help because police horses generally come in XXL too.

The Equisafety rugs in standard size are massive - cob size swamped my D who wears 6'6 rugs. It was about a foot too long and practically came to her knees! I'd imagine an XL would probably fit a heavy.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
The Equisafety rugs in standard size are massive - cob size swamped my D who wears 6'6 rugs. It was about a foot too long and practically came to her knees! I'd imagine an XL would probably fit a heavy.

I haven't seen any of the lightweight mesh ones. To avoid having to find rugs, I keep him unclipped all year round so don't want to have anything which makes him any sweatier.

AA you're absolutely right. While I realise you and I are at the end of the scale, the rise of popularity of the multitalented cob creates a growing market for chunkier, rounder ponies.

deb_l222

Visit site
Gosh he's a stunning chap isn't he!! I lurve the BIG beasties :)

I have no idea if Weatherbeeta do ride away stuff but I always found they were the best fitting for Tommy - my mahoosive Clydesdale and, if you're lucky, will do most things up to a 7'6". We were never particularly troubled by flies so never needed anything in summer.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I haven't seen any of the lightweight mesh ones. To avoid having to find rugs, I keep him unclipped all year round so don't want to have anything which makes him any sweatier.

Sorry - I meant the mesh ones! This was 2 years ago when they were clearing the end of the line stock and I bought quite a few; unfortunately what I ordered and what turned up often were not the same thing. I'll see if I can dig the XL one out and get measurements off it for you :).

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Sorry - I meant the mesh ones! This was 2 years ago when they were clearing the end of the line stock and I bought quite a few; unfortunately what I ordered and what turned up often were not the same thing. I'll see if I can dig the XL one out and get measurements off it for you :).

That would be great, thank you.
I'll go visit him with a tape measure later today.