Ride With Your Mind

shampain

Visit site
Think it's a matter of different things working for different people.
I'd agree that the books are hard to follow, however I've been a working pupil at Mary's base (Overdale Equestrian) a couple of times now, staying with Mary & Karin, who runs the yard. Each time I've come away with my riding completely transformed- for the better. My RI is also RWYM, but incorporates other approaches a little more as well. I'd say that if you look into it and it seems interesting, it's definitely worth finding an instructor in your area, or (if you're close enough) popping over to Overdale for a lesson/course. Never could afford the courses, hence went the rather cheaper route of WP to learn!
As always, it's totally a matter of 'horses for courses'. There are SO many different approaches out there, and so many which work with various horses/riders, etcetera. Just a matter of finding something that fits for you. :)

Clava

Visit site
Book is hopeless, but having RWYM lessons with a good RI is fabulous, totally changed the way I think about riding.

lhotse

Visit site
I had five lessons with Mary back in about 1990, and everything she taught me has stuck. I have her books, although I can't remember when I last looked at them. Sally Swift's book, Centred Riding, is easier to follow and along the same lines.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Some people get on with it, others don't. You can only try and see it works for you. If it doesn't, amazon seems to hold a vast library of other peculiar methods :D. Not that I think RWYM is peculiar... ok, ok maybe I do.. :rolleyes:

Out of interest, why did you buy it? What were you hoping to learn/get out of it?

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
I liked the book BUT, as with any riding books, I take what I personally like from of it, and ignore the things I feel won't work for me. I do refer back to it regularly, as I live in the middle of nowhere with no instructors within hailing distance, so I have to watch myself carefully with bad habits, poor posture etc.
(I set up a tripod, and video most arena work, simply to check I'm behaving myself and how my horses are looking from the ground!)

Tinypony

Visit site
Has lessons. Absolutely hated it. Have also watched several lessons with a very experienced instructor and hated them as well. The position... the tension... I think it's a bit Marmite. :)

Clava

Visit site
From what I've seen of Mary on videos I don't think I'd like her, but my RI who is one of her instructors is, I think, particularly talented and astute and she also adds many aspects from Swift and other similar schools of thought. The lessons are taxing but thoroughly enjoyable and several friends have tried them and found it a positive experience - but I suspect it is because this teacher is particularly good rather than the RWYM view of things. :) RWYM gives you a language to visualise muscles which I find useful and it concentrates on getting your body right, not forcing the horse to be "right".

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I like the way it makes you think about how everything is working and how it affects the horse and its way of going.

I don't follow any one 'style', preferring to pick and choose what is right for me and my horse.

Clannad48

Visit site
No personal knowledge but a couple of friends have lessons with A RWYM instructor (don't know her name) and they are very happy with it and say it has improved their riding.

maggiestar

Visit site
RWYM was something I just stumbled on browsing Amazon for riding theory books and it looked really interesting - a bit different. I feel as if I keep making the same mistakes riding (leaning forward going into canter and tensing my legs) and thought that if things were explained differently something might click. :)

I have no idea if it'll make any difference but have a lesson tomorrow so will some of her ideas out. Eg, she says that if you force your heels down in the stirrups, it can push you out of the saddle so the ball of the foot should just rest on the stirrup. Hope I've understood that correctly!