Rider aches n pains

Kenzo

Visit site
If you've had for example a hard lesson or done more jumping than usual, the areas where you might ache or feel a little stiff/sore the next day, does this tell us anything in particular about how we ride as an individual? Not talking about riders that are not generally fit, more about if it gives you an indication that your not riding correctly, use of your legs etc or perhaps a sign that you are.

Are certain areas where you ache little tell tail signs?

Nicnac

Visit site
Interesting question. I have a new ISH youngster who is a completely different shape to my late Friesian and my other horse who is an ex-racehorse so 3 weeks in as we start really working I expect to feel sore.

Tonight, however, I don't know how I'm going to get off the sofa.....cantering round the field Friday, good hack Saturday, jumping lesson yesterday morning (first time in ages that I've left the ground) and dressage lesson this evening.

Before anyone comments, said horse will be 5 this Friday and lessons were max 30 mins including warm-up and warm-down. We will now have 1 or 2 days rest - necessary for us both.

So I'd say yes, my riding is changing due to very green horse and my body is feeling the pain so therefore I deduct that my pain is showing me where I need to improve!

Johnny999

Visit site
I find a regular quarterly trip to the local bed of pain is required whilst both I and the horse improves.
My aches and pains appear through a combination of things. Some of which are poor posture working at a desk and driving long distances.
That said, riding only exagerates the root problem.

I also get to ride a great deal of different horses. And the better the horse the less I ache... although they are also much narrower than my normal mount.

Currently working on using more effective aids at lower pressure with schooling stick as immediate back up so I have to stress my muscles less, hopefully ache less and end up with a far more responsive horse.
We are only a couple of months in but the improvement is already there and I no longer wake up feeling broken everyday.

Kenzo

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, just wondered really because after riding on Sunday (xc schooling) my shins feel very sore, where normally they don't (if that is, I've done more than usual, for example lots of jumping/canter work) where previously in that situation I'd ache in other areas and not in my chins, however don't feel anything in the back of my calves or thighs.

Does this tell us much about how we are using our legs or our over all position I wonder, or is it just a case of our bodies getting more used to different activities.....I was just pondering and thought maybe some bright spark that is into both riding and human muscles etc may be able to shed some light. :)

Fidgety

Visit site
Thanks for your replies, just wondered really because after riding on Sunday (xc schooling) my shins feel very sore, where normally they don't (if that is, I've done more than usual, for example lots of jumping/canter work) where previously in that situation I'd ache in other areas and not in my chins, however don't feel anything in the back of my calves or thighs.

Just had a bit of an experiment - flexed my ankle upwards and downwards and felt the muscles down the front of my shins and they are the muscles that come into to play when your heel is well down. Sounds like your aches are what my instructor and I call 'good aches', ie, you've had your weight well down into your heels :):)

ETA, I'm by no means a Bright Spark ;-), but I've been going through riding rehab over the last few weeks so I've been very much aware of my own aches and pains (in the shins too :)) ).

Batgirl

Visit site
They could be 'shin splints' if it is something you have never had before, if you have sharper pain when you push off with your toes, it basically can indicate minor tears down the inside of the shin where the muscles join.

Or as someone else has said, good aches where you have been 'anchoring' more effectively :)

I often find if I have been gripping with my knees my inner thigh aches more than normal, I have asked my instructor to look out for it as it is a very bad habit! :D

wench

Visit site
Didnt there used to be a fitness bloke that came onto here... Matt or something similar? Maybe someone could point you in his direction, although I am sure I havent seen the user name for quite some time

Batgirl

Visit site
I am an ex-physio (hence the suggestion of shin splints, though to be honest I don't think it is) but if you are really interested I know an excellent equine physio who treats riders and horses and does pilates and is just fab at the whole this aches which means you were doing this etc PM if you are interested in her details.

As you say new muscles aching means new muscles being used for good or bad (in my case the clenched knees, in your case perhaps good heels down on XC)