rider fitness - do you/how do you fit it in?

amy_b

Visit site
as title, those with 9-5's and a horse on the side do you manage to fit in personal fitness? if so what do you do/how often/when etc
Im keen to get fit but at the moment about 4 weeks have passed where Iv thought 'Il start next week' next week comes and Im just as busy as last week!! :(:eek:
However...I may just HAVE to succumb to getting out of bed another hour earlier and going for a run.... :rolleyes:

Ali16

Visit site
I posted exactly the same thread a couple of weeks ago! :eek:

I have started going to the gym next door to work (did NOT know there was one for general use until I asked very nicely & I don't pay - just give a riding lesson once a month in exchange for use) during my lunch break as that's the only time I have free!

hati

community.webshots.com
I am very lucky that there is gym in my office - so i try to do 2/3 classes a week at lunchtime (circuits, HITT, kettlebells), I have also taken on to do a marathon later on this year, so have ended up running at 6am before work and the exercise the horse in the evening.......I don't watch a lot of TV!

Hedwards

Visit site
Ive started going to 2 zumba classes - they dont start until 8pm so go to the yard straight from work, (having done my mucking out etc. in the morning) ride (some times) finish off horses, head home by 6.30-7.00ish, take the dogs out for 30 minutes (or longer if time allows) and then go off to class (its only 2 minutes up the road, and lasts for 40 minutes) home, dinner, bed!

_EVS_

Visit site
I run twice a week in my lunch hour with a couple of colleagues (added motivation going with others!) and I try and go once a week outside of work though its hard to motivate myself having ridden after work too but my OH does marathons so is out running regularly so I can join him on one of his slow runs. I used to do Pilates once a week as well but the class was late evening and it was just too much - stuck it for 18 months then gave up though it did improve my dodgy lower back no end!

Mizzbecx

Visit site
I've decided I haven't got time for the gym so I've just bought a Xbox 360 and I'm off to buy a fitness game tonight so I can do it after the farm :D

I much prefer the thought of exercise in my nice dry living room whilst the rain is pouring!!!!

Alfami

Visit site
I run three times a week - late in the evening, once kids & the horse are in bed. I should say that my horse lives out as much as is feasible - it just gives me an extra hour or so that I otherwise wouldn't have and it doesn't do him any harm.

On two of my 'run days' it's after I've ridden too - although in the winter it's impossible to do both on a weeknight, so I either ride or run. The latter I can do safely (ish) in the dark.

I'd love to do Pilates too (for my dodgy back too) but I just can't fit it in......

Saucisson

Visit site
Is your yard a long way from work/home? Could you cycle there and kind of incorporate your exercise in your travelling time?

I'm lucky in that I can cycle to work and to the yard :)

I really rate cycling for strengthening the legs for riding (not so good for hand position, my instructor is always shouting "bicycle thumbs!").

Last edited:

Jingleballs

Visit site
I am very lucky that there is gym in my office - so i try to do 2/3 classes a week at lunchtime (circuits, HITT, kettlebells), I have also taken on to do a marathon later on this year, so have ended up running at 6am before work and the exercise the horse in the evening.......I don't watch a lot of TV!

As above!! I joined the gym right next to my work about 3 weeks ago and currently going between 3 and 4 times a week.

I do Kettlebells at lunchtime once or twice a week plus a 30 minute spin class on a Friday at 5pm and then a mixture of other classes depending on what I've got on at work/with pony.

I was surprised to realise I'm actually fitter than I thought - did a body combat class one day, spin the next and felt absolutely fine - kettlebells on the other hand absolutely kills me!

I did try running earlier in the year since it costs nothing and you can do it any time but my knee can't cope with the strain so I've had to fork out to join the gym instead - I feel a million times better having done so though!

Mickyjoe

Visit site
Another one who running during their lunch break. I have a nice hilly 4 mile route that I do two or three times a week. Have done a half marathon, a 5 mile roadrace and three 10ks already this year. :)

amy_b

Visit site
good stuff.

don't fancy running/gyming in my lunchbreak. I know what I look like after exercise!!! :eek:

Mickyjoe - does a hilly 4 mile run prepare you enough for a 10k? Im planning on entering a 10k so that I have something I HAVE to get fit for but my plan was to work up to running 6 miles/10k the week or two before...

Mickyjoe

Visit site
good stuff.

don't fancy running/gyming in my lunchbreak. I know what I look like after exercise!!! :eek:

Mickyjoe - does a hilly 4 mile run prepare you enough for a 10k? Im planning on entering a 10k so that I have something I HAVE to get fit for but my plan was to work up to running 6 miles/10k the week or two before...

It does really. That was the furthest distance I had done (but it is a VERY hilly route) before I ran my first 10k and I did the race in 49 mins. :) Remember you need to taper down a little in the days just before the race, so take yourself a little easier during those days and give yourself the day before off. :)

Lol! Luckily for me there is a shower at work! :D