(Rider) fitness during lockdown

Nashwan

New User
Visit site
Hello all!

I was wondering how people have been keeping fit/flexible out of the saddle during lockdown? I'm having my first lesson in three months on Saturday - yay! - and imagine Sunday is going to be painful!
I've been trying to do two online Pilates classes a week, but basically feel that my fitness is really lacking.
Tell me I'm not alone! xx

PoniesRock

Visit site
I’ve resorted to doing couch to 5k running. The first couple weeks of the programme were pretty easy, but I hate running!! Normally I swim quite a bit in the summer but given current circumstances I can’t. I’m seven weeks in, still hating it but finding the running a lot easier and it does feel like quite a achievement. Think the app helps having someone tell you when to run and offers tips along the way. The programme suggests that u run three times a week, but I’ve been trying to run every other day, so some weeks I’ve almost done 2 weeks of the programme in one week, just found it easier to run that way.

smolmaus

Visit site
I find that sumo squats hurt the same muscles. But if you started doing them now you're just going to be sore before Saturday rather than after! ;)

I also love C25k! When I tried to run in my local park like I used to it was absolutely packed though and really not safe so unfortunately I'm just going to have to suffer terribly once lockdown is over.

Nashwan

New User
Visit site
I’ve resorted to doing couch to 5k running. The first couple weeks of the programme were pretty easy, but I hate running!! Normally I swim quite a bit in the summer but given current circumstances I can’t. I’m seven weeks in, still hating it but finding the running a lot easier and it does feel like quite a achievement. Think the app helps having someone tell you when to run and offers tips along the way. The programme suggests that u run three times a week, but I’ve been trying to run every other day, so some weeks I’ve almost done 2 weeks of the programme in one week, just found it easier to run that way.
I've heard so many good things about the app and it sounds like you've got into a really good routine. Thank you so much, will definitely check it out.

Nashwan

New User
Visit site
I find that sumo squats hurt the same muscles. But if you started doing them now you're just going to be sore before Saturday rather than after! ;)

I also love C25k! When I tried to run in my local park like I used to it was absolutely packed though and really not safe so unfortunately I'm just going to have to suffer terribly once lockdown is over.
I've just had to Google sumo squats! One for Sunday! Or maybe Monday! I will definitely lok at C25k as it sounds like a really good thing to try and do anyway. Thank you for your advice!

PoniesRock

Visit site
I've heard so many good things about the app and it sounds like you've got into a really good routine. Thank you so much, will definitely check it out.

Its defiantly worth a bash. I’m nearly at the end now, still not quite running 5k in 30 mins! But I’m seeing it as a achievement that I’m running at all!! Takes me nearer 40 mins to run 5k. I almost need a new app or programme to follow once I’ve finished c25k tho to keep me motivated to keep running... or just someone to kick me up the bum! Just find swimming or fitness classes much more enjoyable!

smolmaus

Visit site
Its defiantly worth a bash. I’m nearly at the end now, still not quite running 5k in 30 mins! But I’m seeing it as a achievement that I’m running at all!! Takes me nearer 40 mins to run 5k. I almost need a new app or programme to follow once I’ve finished c25k tho to keep me motivated to keep running... or just someone to kick me up the bum! Just find swimming or fitness classes much more enjoyable!
There is a 10k version! I never got past 5k though, I just tried to do it faster as I have a nice 5k park run near me and once I was at the end I just headed for home!

Tho I did quit running completely after a while as I still hated it. No point forcing yourself to do things you don't enjoy imo.
I've just had to Google sumo squats! One for Sunday! Or maybe Monday!
It's just slow rising trot on a very fat pony ? do look up proper form on YouTube first tho! You probably cant hurt yourself if you're not using weights but to get the most out of it!

billi1001

New User
Visit site
I have bought such a mini trampoline

It is really fun to jump on it as well as I am training my balancing and lose weight. During COVID I've got one more thing that makes me happy. Also, I am going to find and buy some other fitness equipment and build a small gym at home but it will take some time.

18hhOlls&Me

Visit site
Hello all!

I was wondering how people have been keeping fit/flexible out of the saddle during lockdown? I'm having my first lesson in three months on Saturday - yay! - and imagine Sunday is going to be painful!
I've been trying to do two online Pilates classes a week, but basically feel that my fitness is really lacking.
Tell me I'm not alone! xx
I’ve been doing ‘EquiYoga’ from YouTube every morning recently as I got soooo unfit over lockdown x

18hhOlls&Me

Visit site
Try equestrian yoga on YouTube. I did it daily and it really did make a big difference. It’s not cardio but will strengthen your core, help with hip mobility and aid your position in the saddle. This one is great
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.