Rider fitness

MikB

Visit site
Hi!

My mare is working really nicely in the school, but I am finding that my fitness is not up to par! Any suggestions please of how to improve fitness, specific to riding? I can only ride a maximum of twice a week due to work, so need something that can top me up in betweeen. Especially upper body strength. Many thanks!

Carrottom

Visit site
Pilates is good for core strength, Piloxing is fun and includes cardio fitness. In the gym the rowing machine is good but rather boring, I can only manage about 15 minutes max, and "the grappler" is good for upper body. I take the view that any exercise is better than none.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It's your abdominals and back muscles that you need the most for riding, so anything that works those - the rowing machine is a good all round workout.

Mule

Visit site
It's your abdominals and back muscles that you need the most for riding, so anything that works those - the rowing machine is a good all round workout.
Hmm, fill me in about what you do with your back muscles. I'm not sure I do anything with mine :oops:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Hmm, fill me in about what you do with your back muscles. I'm not sure I do anything with mine :oops:

You must do, otherwise you'd collapse ;-) You use your abdominals and back muscles in opposition to maintain your posture. Specifically for riding, you brace your back for all half halts and general slowing down/balancing of the horse, and whenever you use your seat. You should be using the braced back rather than pulling on the reins with your arms, for instance.

Mule

Visit site
You must do, otherwise you'd collapse ;-) You use your abdominals and back muscles in opposition to maintain your posture. Specifically for riding, you brace your back for all half halts and general slowing down/balancing of the horse, and whenever you use your seat. You should be using the braced back rather than pulling on the reins with your arms, for instance.
Ah, got ya:)

soloequestrian

Visit site
I do Zumba twice a week. It's fun so I look forward to going and it doesn't feel like exercise (so a bit like riding in that sense!). I don't think I would sustain going to a gym!

henmother

Visit site
I'm going to try a body blade . It's recommended in Peter Doves dressage book . Looks like it might be fun and the bit I like is , it requires only a minimal range of motion to target and tone any muscle group . Might be something you'd fancy a go of ?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I got really unfit when I broke my ankle I found those resistance bands really good, I still use them now for my arms and legs and find they help to really tone the muscle you have to do loads to really make a difference though.

Carrottom

Visit site
I'm going to try a body blade . It's recommended in Peter Doves dressage book . Looks like it might be fun and the bit I like is , it requires only a minimal range of motion to target and tone any muscle group . Might be something you'd fancy a go of ?
Just googled this, I think it looks interesting (and not expensive) please let me know if it is any good.

oldie48

Visit site
Equipilates is great for targetting those muscles you use when riding, also for core strength, balance and suppleness but I don't find it challenging enough from an aerobic standpoint. Zumba is great fun. I used to run but don't now as it's not good for my knees or back so I just rely on walking the dog at speed and up hills. TBH I think the really important thing is to find something you really enjoy as then it's easy to keep doing it.

TPO

Visit site
Planks! Get planking every morning when you get out of bed and you'll soon notice a difference. There are diagrams online of all the muscles that are engaged by holding the position. Then it's the simple case of increasing the duration...how to make 60seconds feel like a lifetime!!!

I need to talk myself back into doing them but when I was planking and squatting every morning I noticed a difference really quickly. Also be conscious when you are doing things around the yard; engage your core when you are walking or carrying anything, squat down to lift water bucket and rise up slowly using your legs. Every little helps!

oldie48

Visit site
Planks! Get planking every morning when you get out of bed and you'll soon notice a difference. There are diagrams online of all the muscles that are engag/ed by holding the position. Then it's the simple case of increasing the duration...how to make 60seconds feel like a lifetime!!!

I need to talk myself back into doing them but when I was planking and squatting every morning I noticed a difference really quickly. Also be conscious when you are doing things around the yard; engage your core when you are walking or carrying anything, squat down to lift water bucket and rise up slowly using your legs. Every little helps!
Oh and stretch! http://dressageridertraining.com/blog/5-stretches-that-every-dressage-rider-should-do These look useful and are some of the ones I do in equipilates

Reactions: TPO