Rider height and horse height

Stella-fy

Visit site
Random question but is anyone around 5’9/5’10’ and have a medium barrel horse 15.3hh??

if so can you share pictures on your horse? I am 5’9.5’’ to be precise ? and I have a horse coming next week who is 15.3hh and I have this possibly irrational fear that I am going to look like a monkey on a unicycle!! I didn’t get any pictures when I tried her and would welcome some reassurance ?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
What build and type is your new horse? That matters much more than height. A short coupled horse could make you feel that you are sitting over her ears, but as you have tried her and presumably felt ok, this is unlikely.

A 5'9"rider on a 15.3hh sounds pretty standard, tbh. I'm taller and have owned smaller :).

Stella-fy

Visit site
This is her. She’s quite narrow front on but still in a M width saddle. I think - hope- I am overthinking it ??‍♀️? I didn’t chose her over on how I look/she looks I chose her on temperament but would have naturally said I wanted something over 16hh given my height.
If anyone does have any pics for reference with a simile horse I would appreciate it!

Attachments

• 471BA488-5F1E-4FE1-9037-422BFAA26502.jpeg
    471BA488-5F1E-4FE1-9037-422BFAA26502.jpeg
    991.7 KB · Views: 62

eggs

Visit site
I am 5’8” and regularly rode my daughter’s 14:2 Dales pony and ever felt under horsed. Currently riding a 17:3 but he doesn’t ride big.

Kat

Visit site
I'm 5ft8" my horse is not quite 16hh, and quite fine. I'm fine size wise on her and wouldn't particularly want a bigger horse. My husband rides her too and he is 6ft2", he looks leggy on her but is fine.

You will not look remotely out of place. Remember that the small but mighty Charisma was only 15.2 and Mark Todd is a bit over 5ft9" at 6ft3" and no one ever thought he looked daft while winning Olympic gold medals.

Tarragon

Visit site
I think that a lot depends upon your body-length to leg ratio, as two people of the same height can look very different on the same horse depending how much of the height is made up by legs :)
looking at all the lovely rider and horse combinations in the photos above, I don't think it will be a problem.